20. My Queen

Heather Chandler
As I make my way to my roof I nearly fall. It's ok though. At least I'm not 3 stories up.

An hour goes by and the sun is finally starting to set. I'm sitting there trying to think about anything but Veronica when I hear a voice.

"Can we talk?" I don't turn around but I hear the girl dressed in blue is already on the roof.

Sure. I respond coldly.

"Cool." She says softly as she comes and sits down beside me. She's not close but not far. There's an arms length between us.

Veronica Sawyer
I'm sorry. I say sitting down on the roof.

"Me too." She replies. Her voice is shaky and I begin to wonder if she was about to cry.

C-can I ask why you didn't try to call? I say now trying not to cry myself.

"I have a hard time talking to people after fallouts. It's not that I didn't want to. I just didn't know how. I-I was scared." She admits. I like that she is being honest right now.

I'm sorry. I apologize again.

"It's fine. I just didn't know what I was supposed to do." She says.

I don't know either. You just got all quiet. I thought you might have wanted space. I didn't know why you were being so cold. I say shakily trying not to let the tears fall from my eyes.

"I was being a bitch. You can say it."

No. I'm not gonna say that. I say with a more aggressive tone.

"I guess I was just scared."

Scared of what?

"My reputation. I've always been known as the queen of westerburg. Everybody worships me. I guess I was just scared that by me getting my ass kicked by Jesse James people weren't gonna see me as the queen anymore" she says. I hear her inhale as if she was trying to stop tears from falling.

I get it I guess. I respond calmly.

"I wish you fully understood. It's ok that you don't. I just don't want to give up my status."

We sit there for a moment before I finally come up with words to say.

Even if you do lose your queen of westerburg status...you would always be my queen. I say trying to comfort her.

A few moments later I feel the red girls head on my shoulder. I try to hold back a smile but I give in.

"R-Ronnie?"

Yes, heather?

"Are you going to break up with me?" She asks. I can hear genuine fear in her voice.

No. Of course not. We had a communication error. But I'm not going to break up with you. Are you gonna leave me? I ask.

Heather Chandler
"Are you gonna leave me?" She asks.

I- never. I know I don't say this a lot but...I-I love you. I say.