1:9

"I was made captain of one team and Dot captain of the other. Emma was the neutral person since she volunteered... Do you guys actually care about this dumb game?"

"The scope of our investigation is so broad at this point, so, yes. We do care about this dumb game."

"I won the toss."

~~~

"Tails," Shelby says, "Toni chooses first."

"Marty B, you know what's good," Toni says, welcoming Marty to her team.

"Well, I want the W, so Rachel." Dot says welcoming Rachel to her team.

"This is my fucking middle school PE nightmare." Leah mutters to Nora.

"I know, I wore a scoliosis brace from fourth to seventh grade, so this isn't not triggering." Nora replies with her arms crossed.

"My coach convinced my PE coach to have me practice my floor routines instead of joining in class." I reply looking at them, "Which I'm actually thankful for now."

~~~

"Somehow we decided that the person to last go got to pick next"

"What was the idea behind that approach?"

"Well, it'll just mix things up more that way."

~~~

"Then I pick Shelby," Martha says while Shelby happily hops over to her group. I look up at Toni's annoyed face while chuckling.

"Leah, how tall are you?" Rachel asks walking over to her.

"Uh, 5'9."

"We could use the height. Squad up." Rachel says. I smile lightly while looking down at my lap.

"Join the fam, Nora," Shelby says nicely while outstretching her hand for her.

"Is this a sympathy pick?"

"No," Shelby states while Toni mutters a "Probably."

Dot walks over to Fatin who is laying down sunbathing. She outstretches her hand, "Come on, we need you to make it look pretty." She says smiling while Fatin looks like she'd rather be doing anything but that.

~~~

"The gameplay was simple: build a shelter and do it by sunset. The axe would be shared and each team would alternate who gets Emma. Not gonna lie it was really shaping up to be quite the battle royale. Warriors versus Visors, Texan versus Texan, Twin versus Twin."

~~~

"Come here Austen, gotta make sure you got your Warrior paint on." Toni tells me coming up with some pink makeup they found from Fatin's case and eyeliner. I sigh before sitting down in front of Toni and let her put the makeup on. She starts to put the pink makeup on my face and I watch her concentration as she does so. She then grabs the eyeliner and adds the black lines to show the other teams symbol.

"I'm sorry you have to play for your Takis'" I mutter quietly.

"It's okay. Not like I'm not used to it," Toni says as I nod, "Hold still or I'm gonna fuck up your makeup," She says in a teasing tone making me smile slightly, "Besides, I like a good competition."

"Yeah, I remember your basketball game. You were really good."

"Why were you even there?" I look her in the eyes, "I, uh, I remember seeing you." Toni mutters quietly.

"You didn't even know me then, how did you remember?" Toni doesn't reply to me so I keep going, "I knew someone playing. You were playing against my school."