Too Late

As I rushed back to my dorm, the fact that I'd have to face Alex and apologize to him dawned on me. I sighed as I slowly cracked the door open, gingerly opening it and tip toeing inside once it was fully opened. I closed and locked it then turned back around, almost screaming when I saw Alex 5 inches away from my face.

"Ah! How did you...?-"

He ignored my panic, "What did Paxton say?" Alex asked me immediately, his stormy eyes staring into mine like two piercing daggers.

I felt my palms perspire, "What do you mean?" I said, trying to play it cool.

He rolled his eyes, scoffing, "You know just what I mean." He said grimly.

I bit my lip. There was no use hiding it from Alex. As much as I knew he wouldn't like it, I didn't want to lie to him again. "Well, um...I yelled at him." I said halfheartedly.

He lowered his voice, "And?"He pressed.

I fiddled with the zipper on my jacket, not sure how to phrase it without Alex getting mad. I wanted to apologize, not cause more drama, "Well, he kind of, um..." I said, my voice trailing off, "...Confessed to me." I said, biting my lip anxiously the moment the words escaped my mouth.

Alex's eyes flashed with something I couldn't make out, thought I could see a glimmer of hurt; the last thing I wanted to induce. He nodded, trying to look nonchalant. "Oh." He said under his breath, turning away and climbing up the ladder to his bed in an attempt to ignore me, "Well, good for you."

I paused, paralyzed in my tracks. Why was he so calm? I thought he would scream his head off at me. "A-Are you mad?" I asked him tentatively.

He snorted, "Why would I be mad? You got what you wanted, didn't you?" He said grimly, covering himself up in his covers, not bothering to glance in my direction as he laid down.

I felt the waterworks start to well up in my eyes. It was what I wanted...right? I mean, after all this time, it'd been my goal for this to happen. "Well, I uh...I guess." I said, hanging my head and staring quietly at my feet, without another word to say.

"Then, congrats to you." He muttered, his voice muffled by the covers.

I pursed my lips, knowing that he must've been pissed deep down inside. I ran a hand through my hair, "Um...alright, then. Night."

I waited patiently for a response, but got none at all. My fists clenched, leaving small, half moon imprints in the palms of my hands from my nails. I would have said something else to reassure him; anything would be better than just leaving our conversation at such an abrupt halt like this one. No words came to mind, though.

And I feared that ever if they did, it'd be too late.