Is This The Way It Ends?

Alex's POV

These people were not human.

Ron was a cheerful girl, sure. She must have come from a good family; I could have assumed that. But no one's family was ever that happy. The way that her parents supported her; told her how much they loved her...was that normal? I could hardly remember a time where my parents were that loving with me. It was almost inhuman the way they were so kind and gentle to her, like she was a baby who needed to be nurtured. I sighed and played irritably with the fork as I watched them be happy together.

"So what are you getting to eat, honey?" Mr. Miller asked, grinning at his daughter like she was the only thing in the world.

Ron looked up as if she were totally unaware of his love and shrugged, "I don't know. Probably the spaghetti." She answered, looking back down at the menu.

Mr. Miller nodded, smiling, "Good choice." He said caringly, looking down at his own menu again.

I couldn't help but let out a snort. It was unbelievable how caring their relationship was. I wondered if it was real. I looked up, about to wonder if they were going to do another loving thing, but instead saw Ron almost snarling at me. I furrowed my brows together, confused as to why she should be angry at me. I sighed and ran a hand through my hair.

"Please excuse me for a moment; I have to go to the bathroom." I mumbled, taking the napkin off of my lap and almost throwing it on the table, still a bit angry. I just needed to cool off. Alone.

******

Ronnie's POV

"Please excuse me for a moment..." Alex mumbled, taking the napkin off of his lap and shoving it off at the table. I furrowed my brows in puzzlement as he walked off, steaming. I looked around, noticing almost no one really had realized he had left.

I bit my lip and bent across the table to quickly tap my mom's hand and gather her attention, "I think I lost my earring outside. I'm going to go grab it really quickly, okay?"

My mom nodded, "Okay, honey! Good luck!" She said, smiling blissfully.

I smiled back and as quietly and stepped around my chair and walked off, trying to locate Alex and where he was going. Luckily, I could see him walk off out of the restaurant ­irritably and followed suit, trying to stay under the radar. I continued to follow him out and saw him try to sneak away outside. He looked in all directions to see if anyone had followed him, so I quickly hid myself behind a table. I continued to follow him as soon as he walked out and slid outside the doors. I watched him quietly slip away from the glitzy restaurant and off enter the outdoors where I saw him make his way around the parking lot, hoping not to be seen. I slipped outside where I followed him around the building to a spot that seemed secluded from the roads and windows, a spot that he must've had to search for to find. Walls of tangled ivy secluded the area so that it was a small alcove. The bright sun beat down on it and illuminated the area so that it shone in the prettiest way; the blooming flower's dew shimmered in the light from the sun and the freshly cut grass smelled like spring.

I took one more step, hoping to remain quiet, but accidentally made the mistake of stepping on a twig and snapping it clean in half. I looked up frantically to see Alex whip his body around to see me, his eyes wide like saucers.

"R-Ron! What the...? What are you doing here?" He snapped, grimacing at me.

"I-I..." I stammered, frowning and hanging my head. I really did suck at lying; always had, and I'm assuming, always will. "Well, I saw you leave. Are you ok?"

I saw a flicker of a smirk dance across his lips, but it was controlled within moments, "You're... Concerned? But you seemed so happy in there. Like you didn't want to leave." He said, crossing his arms stubbornly.

I pushed some hair out of my eyes, "Seriously? It's about as comfortable to be in there as it is to be on a bed of nails," I said, scoffing, "I was glad to get any excuse I could to escape that social hell hole."

Alex chuckled to himself and crossed his arms, smirking to himself, "You know, I'm rather surprised." He said fondly.

I raised an eyebrow curiously, "Of what?"

Alex frowned and tucked his hands bashfully in the pockets of his dress pants, idly kicking the ground, "How... happy your family seems to be."

I almost scoffed, "We're not that happy. Just because we seem to be, they make sure we look that way."

Alex gave me a confused look.

I sighed. "My parents have 5 children, so why is it that only me and Vic are the only ones who actually show up anywhere?"

"I don't know.. They're older right? They probably have lives."

"Yea they have lives but even Christmas or Thanksgiving, we never see them; Will uses the college excuse, but we all know they get breaks to come home. Vanessa... She has her job and husband, but she would rather spend a holiday alone than come home, we've seen her husband once-- and that says a lot. Violet is a free bird, even when she was home, she was never home but still, at least she calls. I have a feeling I'll be the same way.." I said frowning, "Besides every time I see my parents, I think of how I'm lying to them. I'm not happy. Not even a little."

I knew that my family dilemmas could never match Alex's, and he knew it, but the look of grief mixed with sympathy on his face seemed to be real, "Sorry," He said, his head hanging low, "I guess...I guess I didn't think of that."

I shrugged, "Don't be," I said, approaching him closer. I took a look around the alcove, its foliage climbing up the walls like green arms, wanting to stretch towards the sun. I saw the freshly cut grass sporting fresh dew, flowers sprouting from the warm earth, "So when did you find this place?"

Alex shrugged, "Last time we came, I think." He said, looking around curiously, "I saw it as we drove away and I got curious."

"It's really...secluded." I told him dumbly, looking around at the blocked off walls.

He nodded, "That's why I came here." He shrugged, looking up towards the blue sky, "I like being alone."

I frowned, half understanding. "Why?"

He frowned, "I've always just liked it. It's easier. Simple." He said softly, pursing his lips together and shifting his gray eyes to meet mine for the first time, "Do you think your parents are buying it?"

"I can only hope so," I told him with a shrug. Suddenly, from behind us I heard a snap, like a twig. My eyes shot open and I turned to Alex, worry written over my face. If it was one of my parents, they would have heard us.

Alex skillfully maneuvered his way around the twigs and stepped in front of me, as if he was inclined to protect me. After a moment of silence, I could see a squirrel scamper across the ground, and I let out a relieved sigh. It was only a squirrel.

Alex turned to face me, smirking, "Well, we're safe for now."

I smiled, relieved. For a moment, I could almost feel his breath on me, he was so close. He must've noticed that we were only an inch away from touching when he struggled to pull himself away, and I could feel my cheeks set on fire.

"Alex?" I said breathlessly.

Alex raised a brow, looking as if he didn't quite want to move backwards.

I frowned, pursing my lips, and felt my feet pull myself even closer to him. I looked up, his eyes meeting mine as he stared down at me, a solemn look on his pale face. I felt my heart speed up, my cheeks burning even brighter. It might have sounded crazy, but it felt like the right time to tell him how I felt. We were alone, and I needed to tell him before the school year's end for closure. I gulped, feeling my hands clench at my sides. I needed to tell him. But when I opened my mouth to say it, but a louder sound coming from behind Alex distracted me. A snapped twig, like the sound before.

"It's probably a squirrel," Alex shrugged quietly, without even sparing a glance.

"Oh, it is most definitely not a squirrel."

I felt my eyes widen, shocked, my mouth hanging wide open. I shuffled my feet to the side to make sure and was horrified to see who it was.

"Veronica Miller," My mom said, crossing her arms and narrowing her eyes viciously, "You have some serious explaining to do."