Jealous

“Alex, have I told you lately that you’re my best friend?”

I widened my eyes at Parker who had both of Alex’s hands clasped inside his own, grinning larger than I thought humanely possible. I entered the classroom, my nails digging into my books as I inched closer to Parker and Alex. I tried my hardest not to make eye contact with Alex. It was too embarrassing after what happened yesterday and I kissed him.

Oh god, what if he was mad at me? What if this ruined our friendship? I sighed; I suppose this is what happens when friends of the opposite sex room together, and whenever I become impulsive. Damn it.

“No, actually. And please, if this is what you’re going to do when you do tell me, let’s keep it that way.” Alex said, seizing his hand back possessively, shoving it in his jacket pocket.

I turned around quickly, wondering what all the commotion was about, and in doing so came eye to eye with Alex again. His gray eyes stared into mine for a split second, and right then I remembered how much more beautiful they looked up close. I tried to snap out of my daze, but I couldn’t. I only felt my heart rate increase the second Alex flashed me a smirk. I felt overjoyed. Maybe he wasn’t mad at me?

“But you’re just such a nice person. And a great friend. And you know, friends like to do each other ....favors.” Parker said, purposely moving his desk over, closer to Alex by several inches.

Alex's eyes widened.

Paxton flashed me a comical look in his seat next to me, looking as if he was trying to hide laughter. I grinned at him and put my books off to the side.

Alex finally sighed, “I see how it is. What do you want me to do?”

Parker gasped, “Are you insinuating that I’m only being nice to you to get something out of it?”

“Uh, kinda.” Alex said flatly, like it was obvious.

Parker paused, pursing his lips, “You’re a smart cookie.” He nodded respectfully.

“So what is this all about?” Alex sighed, sinking in his seat, as if he was waiting for disaster to strike.

Parker sighed, fiddling with the hem of his “Hurley” shirt. “Well, it’s kind of about everyone, in a way…” He said, biting his lip nervously.

I raised a brow along with Paxton and Alex. We all turned our attention to Parker. I felt something boil up inside me, “What did you do?” I asked stressfully, frowning.

“N-Nothing, really.”

“But you did do something.”

Parker bit his lip nervously, “…Yeah.”

I frowned, “What is it, then?”

Parker grinned sheepishly, “Well…” He said, tapping his fingers nervously on his desk, looking for something to distract him, “How would you all feel if…we all went on a group date?”

My mouth dropped.

“I would feel like barfing!” Alex snarled angrily, digging his nails into the desk.

“Oh. Well, that is not the reaction I was hoping for.” Parker said awkwardly, shifting his body.

“Wait, with who?” I double checked, my eyes wide as saucers. There was no way I could do this. I was a girl, and I did not exactly enjoy going on dates with other girls.

“With Katie’s friend, Jamie and her two other friends.” Parker said, cringing in his seat. “They’re new at their school. Their names are Melanie and Casey.”

“Wait, those are only two other friends.” Paxton said, his eyebrow raised. “And aren’t you with Katie?”

“Aaron isn’t going—he’s sick and already 'involved.'” He said, shrugging. “But apparently Katie wasn’t big on me once she found out I was lying about the actor thing. I suppose I was just too much man to handle.” He suggested, popping his collar like some kind of player.

“Yeah, I’m sure that’s it. But that still leaves one of us dateless.” Alex said, the look in his eye making it look like he wished it were him. Part of me wished it were him, too.

“Oh…yeah. Well, that’s actually what I was about to mention…” Parker said hesitantly, “Well, Ron’s not going on a date with any of them.”

I pumped my fist eagerly in the air, “Yes!—”

“—He’s going to be posing as a girl. Well, actually, my girlfriend.” Parker interjected.

Suddenly I wasn’t so happy anymore.

My eyes widened, like two huge moons. My mouth dropped and anger surged through my veins. There was no way in hell I was doing this! Posing as a girl in front of a bunch of people that thought I was a guy was degrading enough as it is, but when I’m posing as Parker’s girlfriend—that just takes it to a whole new level!

“No he is not!” Alex and Paxton both snapped at the same time, as if on cue. They both exchanged a surprised glance, but then it turned to hatred. I ignored them as best as I could.

“And why on earth would I do that?” I snapped angrily, my face contorted into an angry scowl.

“Because…” Parker moved back a little, trying to avoid my rage, “Well, I kind of…”

I was getting impatient what with all the stammering, “Spit it out!”

Parker frowned, obviously guilt-ridden, “Well…I wanted to make Katie jealous.”

My heart sunk. My stupid girl hormones kicked in and I suddenly felt like giving Parker a sympathetic hug. “Oh.” Was all I could say, my eyebrows arched, ridden with guilt, myself, for being so mad at him.

Alex and Paxton both turned around at me and scoffed, “’Oh’?!” They mocked, stupefied at how sympathetic I was being.

“The place we were going to go to is a place where she works. I wanted to bring you guys and make her jealous; but I didn’t know any girls and I only knew one boy that looked girly enough to pose as one.” He said guiltily. I would have yelled at him if I weren’t so able to relate. Jealously seemed to be an old, bitter friend to me nowadays.

“Well, I guess it wouldn’t hurt.” I squeaked nervously, getting a look from both Paxton and Alex that said ‘Are you seriously saying that?!’

Parker’s face lit up like a little kid’s on Christmas morning. Only he was Jewish. “Are you serious?!” He said excitedly, jumping eagerly out of his desk, “That’s so awesome! You won’t regret it! You guys are the best!”

I grinned, happy to see him so excited.

“Mr. Cobain!” Mr. Ferguson cried upon waltzing into the classroom, a weirded out look written on his face, “Stop having a seizure and sit down.”

“You got it, Mr. F!” Parker said happily, taking a seat down, leaving even Mr. Ferguson with an odd thought in his mind.

“Alright, then.” Mr. Ferguson said awkwardly, setting his books down. “Alright, class, now we’re going to talk about what you all read last night in Chapter 5 of ‘Othello.’” He drawled on, writing something on the whiteboard that I was too distracted to make out.

I turned around, back to Parker and shot him a quizzical look, “When is this thing?” I whispered, Alex and Paxton listening intently as well.

Parker continued to grin like a madman, “Tonight!”

I felt a facepalm coming on, and I smacked my forehead with my hand. Parker needed to stop being such an asshole sometimes and let me know when these things were coming. I might have a seizure one day because of his carelessness.

I sighed, but then something hit me. An idea; crashing into my gut like a train wreck.

I was almost too distracted by my own “date” that I almost forgot that Alex and Paxton would have one, too.

I felt my grip on my pencil tighten and my nails dug into it, leaving small nicks in the worn away yellow wood as I said hello to my old friend.