Is It Hot in Here?

Alex's POV

"Whatever. Anyway, your table's over here." Katie huffed, turning on her heels.

"So," The girl, Melanie chirped, "You go to the boy's school that's uptown?" She asked me curiously.

I nodded, "Uh, yeah." I said, distracted by Ron and Parker. It sucked that the only way I could watch after Parker and Ron was by going on this date. It was the last thing I wanted to do, but how else was I going to keep Parker's hands off of Ron? What if he knew she was a girl and just plotted this to get close to her for some sick, perverted reasons? If Pax knew that was Ron's secret, there was just as big of a chance of anyone else being able to figure it out. It did sound rather paranoid, but it was true. I needed to keep Parker away from Ron at all costs.

"That's really cool! Were you at the dance yesterday?"

I averted my eyes away from Ron as I saw her eyes on Melanie and I. Ron kept asking questions as to why I wanted to come here. Did she know that I was trying to protect her? Or worse, did she know that I was in love with her? My mind involuntarily flickered back to yesterday night when she kissed me, and my cheeks flared bright red.

"Alex?" Melanie said, curious as to why I kept zoning out.

"O-Oh yeah. I was there."

She grinned, "So was I! Too bad we didn't see each other!"

I nodded my head, "Y-Yeah. Too bad." I said, my eyes still glued on Ron, feeling my stomach lurch as she quickly smiled at Parker, giving him a thumbs up for some reason. I needed to kill Parker when we got back to school for using Ron this way.

Out of the corner of my eyes, I could see Melanie trace my eyes back to Ron, "Oh..." She said softly, her face getting a bit cold.

I turned to her, confused. "What?" I asked her.

She frowned, hanging her head in a bit of a sad way. "Do you like that girl?" She asked me.

My eyes got wide; my palms sweaty. "W-What?" I asked defensively.

"That girl...Ronnie. You keep looking at her like you're jealous of that Parker guy." She said, chuckling and giving me a small smile, "You like her a lot. I can tell." Melanie paused, "She's very pretty. She seems like a nice girl."

I felt my cheeks get red, and I turned around, back to Ron.

I always pictured her as a girly girl, now I realize she's more of a tom-boy. What she's wearing right now.. Is not tom-boy, it's dark. Little high heeled boots and leather jacket, punk rocker bracelets and belt... A shirt that doesn't leave much to the imagination... And in blue, my favorite color.

I felt the heat in my face rise and ran a nervous hand through my hair, wondering how I was ever going to make it through the night when she looked like that. "Y-Yeah. I really do."

Melanie's sad eyes suddenly regained their shiny, green luster and she smiled at me, "Don't worry, Alex. Your secret's safe with me."