Changes

It's funny how a person's whole life can change.

It could change in a day, a week, or a month. Mine changed hours after I got on the plane. The exact moment? Alex. I felt something deep down, when I opened my eyes and saw his flawless face, after that he found out about my secret. I never noticed it until now but that was when everything started to change for me.

I know it's only been a year but I can see the difference; I was in the dark. My life used to be centered around grades and a certain boy who brightened up my entire world. My days at home were gruesome; it was always the same routine: breakfast, school, work, study, dinner, sleep. I was an around the clock robot that my parents programmed to be the perfect daughter. And I was...for a while, anyway.

Until an idea bloomed in my head.

I wasn't one for impulsive choices. I was the girl who sat around thinking before making every and any decision. So how the idea to drop everything and run off to a boy's boarding school popped into my head, I'll never know.

Perhaps it was that I was fed up. Being trapped in your own personal hell didn't do a lot for you, especially when the hell was populated by you and only you. I probably wanted to break out of my shell; to explore the world. I'd hardly ever been outside my small town in Florida, when I lived in Pennsylvania--forget about it. It was amazing how after I had broken out of Florida how much my life had changed.

My life no longer revolved around grades. No, I was no longer a planet in a school based solar system. Soon, the main thing in my life had become my friends. And it made me happy. So very happy. I could barely keep a smile off my face. I couldn't remember ever feeling like that in Florida. And now my mother was taking me away from all of it.

It's funny how a whole person's life can change, and how quickly it can change back.

*****

"Victoria, shoes don't go in that bag!"

"But shoes are possessions!"

"But they're also clothing!"

"No they're not!"

"Yeah they are. You wear them!"

"No! When you say 'hey, mom! I'm going to go clothes shopping!' that doesn't mean you're going shoe shopping! That's why they have a whole other name for it!"

"Yeah, but you still wear them --like clothes."

"Yes. You wear clothes but you also possess them.."

"Vic..." I said, starting to claw at my hair.

"They're possessions!"

"Whatever, just put the shoes wherever!"

Victoria smirked and threw my one pair of shoes in her bag of choice, standing up and dusting off her jeans. She looked around at the room, wincing, "I swear, I don't know how you lived in such a tiny room for so long. It's so cramped in here."

"You get used to it," I told her, smirking,

"Besides, next year when you go to college, you'll have to deal with it."

She frowned, "Damn. You're right. I'm going to have to start making preparations for that, stat."
I rolled my eyes and picked myself off the ground. I looked up at Victoria, suddenly seeing her eyes droop with a look of sorrow. I squinted my eyes, "What's wrong, Vic?"

"The plan," She said, sticking her hands in her pockets, "It totally failed. I guess I'm to blame, though. I should have been more careful with the ticket situation..."