Chapter 4 - Another Victim

***** One Week Later - Elodie's Point of View *****

I was sitting in my Advanced Business Law course taking notes on my laptop when I saw my cell phone light up with a call from an unknown number. I didn't answer and a minute later my phone screen lit up with a text. 

'Hey Elodie. This is Detective Hendrix. I have an update on your case. Can you come by the precinct some time today?'

I slid the phone under my desk and discreetly texted him back so my Business Law professor wouldn't call me out in front of the whole class. He had a tendency to do that to people. 

'Sure. I can come over after my classes get out at 4:00. I won't have too much time though because my shift at the country club starts at 6:30.'

'That works for me. I'll see you then.'

During my lunch break I met up with Keisha at the food court and sat down at the table where we always ate together. 

"You know what? You're my roommate and I hardly ever see you. Do you do anything besides go to class and work?" Keisha asked, plopping down at the table next to me and opening her Chik Fil-A bag. 

"As a matter of fact I do," I said defensively. 

"Ha! You're a bad liar," she laughed. "Take tonight for instance. What are you doing?" she asked, taking a bite of the big chicken sandwich with extra pickles she had gripped tightly in her hands. 

"Tonight?" I asked, swallowing my food. "Well, I'm meeting up with an EXTREMELY hot police officer," I said with a smile, taking another bite of the turkey and cheese sandwich I had packed in my lunch bag to save money.

"For a date?" Keisha asked, raising her eyebrows in surprise.

"No not exactly," I said, taking a deep breath in and letting out an exhale. "It's more like an appointment to discuss my stolen identity case." 

Keisha smacked my arm and rolled her eyes, shaking her head. "Damn you! Don't toy with me like that," she laughed. "You got my freakin' hopes up. For a second there I thought you were actually gonna take your lacy underwear out of hibernation and knock the dust off of 'em," she laughed. 

I sat back in my chair, grabbing a carrot out of my little Ziploc bag.  "Nope. My lacy underwear is staying in hibernation for the foreseeable future. I did sort of hit on him though, but I got rejected," I said sadly, leaning forward and taking a bite of the carrot in my hand.  

"What?" she asked in shock. "You hit on a man and got rejected? Why am I just now hearing about this? This is some juicy gossip."

"It's not that juicy. Trust me. It's more like embarrassing," I laughed, cringing at the memory. "I'm trying to forget the whole thing ever happened. You would've been proud of me though. At least I put myself out there and flirted with him. That's when he rejected me and said he's already seeing someone. Lucky bitch," I said, letting out a sigh.

Keisha sat there, thinking it over while she chewed on a french fry. "Hey look at the bright side. Maybe you guys can become friends and he can set you up with one of his hot single friends. You know hot guys always run in packs." 

"Yeah, maybe," I shrugged. "He said he has some new info about the case. Maybe he's already figured out who the catfish is. It sure would be nice if they found her and she got arrested so I could get my identity back. It feels like such an invasion, having someone out there pretending to be me and screwing people over, making me look bad." 

"I bet," Keisha said, reaching out and giving my hand a squeeze and shooting me a sympathetic look.

After my last class of the day I rushed to get out to my car and started making my way across town towards the police station. On the way there my Mom called.