Chapter 33 - The Verdict is In

***** Elodie's Point of View *****

Stan, the defense attorney walked up in front of the jury and paced back and forth for a minute before taking a handkerchief out of his back pocket and wiping the beads of sweat off of his forehead. He looked like he was about to have a heart attack.

He leaned against the railing of the jury box and took a deep breath before saying, "Members of the jury, I would ask you to weigh all the possibilities in this case. It's possible that Peggy didn't commit any of these crimes and that this was all a devious plot concocted by local law enforcement to frame her, just to get the case solved. Maybe Detective Hendrix asked Peggy to meet him at the airport to make her look guilty and frame her for crimes she didn't commit."

I looked over at the faces of the jury and hoped they weren't believing a word he said.

"It's possible that one of the many people that visit Peggy's house regularly could have gotten on her computer and logged into that social media account. Maybe the catfish is someone she knows. Maybe she said all of that in the interrogation video just to tell the Detective what he wanted to hear, so he would leave her alone. Those are all things you'll have to think about," he said, pacing back and forth with his head down and his hands clasped behind his back.

Then he looked at the jury and said, "If there's a shred of doubt in your mind, you have to vote NOT GUILTY. That's how our system works. People have to be found guilty without a reasonable doubt, but there should be a lot of doubts in this case. Please consider that so an innocent woman won't be sent to prison. Thank you," Stan said, walking over and taking his seat beside Peggy, wiping his sweaty head with the handkerchief again and trying to catch his breath. It was obvious he was stressed.

"The jury is dismissed now to deliberate. Court is adjourned at this time until the jury is ready to announce their verdict. If found guilty sentencing will be announced at a later time," the judge said, banging his gavel.

"Now we wait," Jackson told us. "Hopefully we've done enough to convince the jury that she's guilty."

"Yeah I really hope so. If she's found not guilty and set free, I have a feeling she's going to come after me," I said nervously. "She looks at me like she wants to rip my head off."

Knox teasingly bugged his eyes out and looked at me really intensely, imitating Peggy and I smacked him.

"Stop it! It's not funny," I laughed. "I'm actually really scared of her."

He wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me against him and kissing me softly.

"It's ok babe. You've got me. I'll keep you safe," he whispered, raising his hand and brushing some hair out of my face and tucking it behind my ear, looking down into my eyes. "I won't let anything happen to you," he said softly, making my insides melt and flutter. I loved this man so much.

"I know," I whispered, before laying my head against his chest and letting out an exhale.

He held me for a minute before Jackson interrupted us, saying, "Hey lovebirds. Let's go eat. I know this really good place that's just a block away, close enough to walk. The jury could deliberate for hours or even days for all we know. They'll contact us when the verdict is ready."

"You buying Mr. Fancy Pants lawyer?" Knox teased, punching his arm.

"Hell no. I have a new Beamer and condo to pay for," he laughed. "I'm broke."

"Fine, I'll pay then," Knox laughed.

He held my hand as the three of us walked over to a little hole in the wall diner a block away. I was starving, so I ordered a big double bacon cheeseburger, fries and a slice of cheesecake. At that moment it felt like it was worth the extra couple hours in the gym it would take to burn it off.