Chapter 56 - Making a Choice

***Two Hours Earlier - Juni's POV***

"I'm saying, you're either transferring to Washington State to be with me or I'm transferring to UCLA to be with you .......... or we're breaking up."

Tyler's eyes widened. He obviously hadn't expected me to say that and I even surprised myself with how assertive I was. I had always been the timid girlfriend that was afraid to tell him what I wanted and needed from him, but not anymore. Things were different now.

"So what's it going to be Tyler?" I asked.

He stood there for a second looking dumbfounded, thinking it over and running both his hands up through his hair.

"Juni, you know I have football and the season isn't over until the end of January. I'm the quarterback. I can't just transfer and leave my team in the middle of the season. And how could you transfer to UCLA? We have Noah and my parents are here and they help you watch him while you're in class. And it's not like you would move there without him. I know you'd never do that."

I nodded. "I know Tyler. I've already thought about all of that. I've been thinking about it for months. I just didn't want to say anything to you until I had a plan."

He scrunched his eyebrows. "What is your plan?"

"You know I had already applied to UCLA and got accepted because originally we were going to go there together before we broke up."

"Yeah," he nodded.

"Well I called them this week to see if I could transfer there for the second semester and they said yes and gave me some online forms to fill out. They said I could transfer right away and start there on January fourth after Christmas break when the second semester starts."

"Well that's great, but how would that work with Noah?"

"I talked to the Dean of students at UCLA about moving us into family housing and he said he could switch you over from a dorm room to a two-bedroom apartment right on campus where the three of could live and your football scholarship would still cover it."

"But who's going to watch Noah for us while we're in class?"

"The Dean said UCLA has a child care program for students with children under five, and they'll reimburse us two thousand dollars per semester for childcare costs. I already talked to your Mom and she said she would cover the cost up front. She really wants you to be able to see your son more often, so she thought it was a great idea, even though she'll miss seeing Noah every day."

"Wow," he said, shaking his head and letting out an exhale, with a smile slowly appearing on his face. "You've really thought about everything haven't you?" He looked into my eyes, studying them. "Do you really think we could do it Juni? I mean, California's REALLY expensive. How are we going to afford to take care of him all by ourselves when we're both going to be in school and neither of us are working?"

I smiled and said, "Well, like you said. I've already thought of everything. I actually applied for financial assistance for us and I got a letter back a few days ago saying that we qualify for a thousand dollars a month of financial aid. We were also approved for assistance with food and baby formula and diapers. We could do this Tyler."

I could see his mind processing all of this.

"I know it's a lot to take in, but I need to know if you really want this. I don't want to uproot my life, transfer schools and move all the way out to California for you unless you're sure, without a doubt in your mind that you want us there. I don't want to go through all that and regret it later. If you don't want us there, I just want you to be honest and upfront with me about it."