Chapter 8 - Her Real Name

***** Knox's Point of View - One Week Later *****

"Meeting in my office in five minutes guys," I said, walking past the three team members I was in charge of on the Cyber Crimes Unit. 

I walked into my office and started up my laptop, checking my Facebook messages on the fake profile I made first thing. There was a new message from Willow Jenkins. 

'Hey babe. Thanks for asking about my Mom. She's doing a lot better today. I was really worried there for a minute. Hope you have a good day with your Dad at the hotel conference. Hopefully he won't be as hard on you as he usually is. Message me when you can take a break so we can talk. I have something to tell you.

I decided to write her back really quick before my team came in. 

'I'm already here at the hotel conference with my Dad but I'll try to get away so I can call you in a little while. It's funny that you have something to tell me because I have something to tell you too. We'll talk soon. Love you.' 

I had never said I love you in a message to her before, but I wanted to start ramping things up. I needed things between us to progress to the stage where she would want to meet me in person. My three team members came in, shutting the door behind them and took a seat around my desk. One was a woman and two were men.

"I wanted to let you guys know you've been doing a great job and I'm really proud of how fast you've been learning," I smiled, sitting back in my chair. "The chief noticed too. We've been solving these cyber crime cases so fast that he actually wants to acknowledge our department at the upcoming gala that the mayor's throwing for the police department." 

"What's the gala for?" one of the guys that had transferred here from another city asked. 

"It's the biggest fundraising event of the entire year for the Seattle Police Department, so it's really important. The mayor and some local celebrities will be there and all the wealthy donors. The chief said he's going to give a speech about how successful our CCU department has been and how much progress we've made. He's hoping our success will equal more interest in the cyber crimes department and higher donations. You're all invited and be prepared that we might get pulled up on stage during his speech." 

The three of them smiled and looked really happy to hear that. 

"Oh I forgot to mention, it's next week and it's fancy dress, so you need to wear a ball gown or a tux, and bring a date. Only ONE date," I said, looking directly at Jenkins and he smiled, getting a punch in the shoulder from the male detective sitting next to him. "And there will be alcohol there but remember that you're representing the police department and me, so be on your best behavior. That means don't get drunk and act like an idiot." 

"Got it," Jenkins said with a smile and a nod, knowing I was talking to him. The other two were too responsible to need that lecture. 

"You guys have been making me really proud so let's keep it that way. Well, that's all I've got for you, so get outta here so I can get back to work," I said with a smile and a laugh, shooing them out of my office.

After they left I shut my office door and called Willow with the untraceable burner phone I always used to text and call her.  

"Hey babe!" she answered cheerfully on the first ring. 

"Hey. You sound happy today. Does it have something to do with the fact that your Mom's feeling better?" 

"Yeah," she said, letting out an exhale. "I had been pretty worried. So how's the conference going?" 

"Eh, as usual it's boring as hell. It's just a bunch of old men who have way too much money, sitting around in fancy suits deciding the future of the hotel industry. Fun stuff," I said sarcastically. "It sucks, but I have to be here because I'll be taking over all my father's hotels one day and I need to be ready."