Chapter 55 - Becoming a Father

***** Knox's Point of View *****

"You're doing great Elodie. You're finally dilated enough to start pushing on the next contraction," the doctor told her with a smile and she looked over at me with fear in her eyes. 

I rubbed on her hand that I was holding and leaned in, kissing her forehead. I couldn't help but feel worried about her and the baby, but I needed to be strong for her. I couldn't let her see how worried I was because I wanted her to stay calm.

"You've got this babe," I whispered with a smile. "Did you know three hundred and eighty five thousand babies are born in the world every day? It's true. I looked it up," I laughed. "This is a natural thing that every mother you know has gone through. If it was that bad, they would only have one baby," I laughed. "But I know women that have had ten and still want more."

She looked at me and a smile slowly formed. "You're actually pretty good at this whole, pep-talk thing. You know that?"

I smiled and said, "Thanks. I try."

Then her smile faded and she said, "I feel another contraction coming on."

She gripped onto my hand tightly and started crying out in pain.

"Elodie, I want you to push on the count of three. One, two, three," he said and she groaned, clenching her teeth as she leaned forward, baring down. She squeezed my hand so hard it felt like she could practically break my fingers. I stood there watching, feeling useless and wishing there was more I could do to help.

She collapsed back against the pillow panting and I wiped her forehead with a damp cloth. "You're doing great babe," I told her, rubbing on her arm.

"How would you know? It's not like you've been through this before. Unless there's something you'd like to tell me. Have you gotten someone else pregnant that I don't know about?"

"No, of course not," I said, scrunching my brows. "Why would you even say that?"

"Don't worry Knox," the nurse told me. "It's just the pain talking. It's normal for women in labor to get very angry and hostile. Sometimes they even get combative," she laughed. "One lady beat her husband over the head with her bedpan."

I raised my eyebrows in surprise. "Wow. That's crazy."

"Oh now you're flirting with the nurse?!" Elodie shouted. "Did you get her number?"

"No I didn't get her number." I looked over at the nurse and my face flushed. I said, "I promise. She's normally a very sweet person."

"Of course I'm not being sweet! You're trying to hit on the nurse while I'm over here giving birth to your baby!" Elodie shouted.

Then her face got serious again. "There's another contraction coming."

"Okay Elodie. Push long and hard on this one," the doctor told her.

She leaned forward, bearing down and letting out a long, loud guttural groan as sweat beaded off her forehead and her hair cling to her face. She pushed for a long time until she was so exhausted she collapsed against the pillow again panting.

"I can see the head crowning. One more good push and the baby will be here," the doctor said.

Elodie shook her head and whined, before finally sitting up again.

"You've got this babe. Just one more push," I told her.

She glared over at me in disbelief. "JUST one more push huh? JUST!" she shouted angrily. "As if one more push is easy?!"

"Sorry. Bad choice of words," I laughed awkwardly.

"He's right Elodie. It's only gonna take one more push if you give it all you've got. You ready?" the doctor asked.