Chapter 61 - Knox Goes Undercover

***** Knox's Point of View *****

I noticed on the map that I had printed out from the recorder's website that there was only one road that led up to the house and it was down a long drive. So if they were there, they would definitely see me coming if I went that way. It looked like there was a second road that ran through the woods that I could use to get close enough to walk the rest of the way.

I drove as far as I safely could without being heard and then parked my car, closing the door very quietly. I had put on some camouflage clothing that let me blend into the background and a bulletproof vest just in case.

I had worked undercover many times before, sneaking around to catch a perp, but this time obviously felt different

I had worked undercover many times before, sneaking around to catch a perp, but this time obviously felt different. I was being extra careful to make sure I thought through every single step before doing it because I couldn't make a mistake. Charlie's life depended on it.

I walked very slowly through the woods, making sure with every single step I took that I didn't step on a stick that could snap or leaves that could rustle and draw attention. I finally got to the edge of the forest after what seemed like forever and I crouched down behind a tree, getting out my binoculars.

I scanned the yard and then some movement in the distance caught my eye, so I focused my binoculars in that direction. There she was. It was Peggy and she was holding Charlie as she walked around the yard. It was so hard being this close to him and not just rushing up there and snatching him from her arms.

That was the first rule I learned when I was training to be a detective, fight the urge to rush in too soon because it could compromise the entire operation. Slow and steady wins the race. I had to wait for the right opening.

I watched as Peggy leaned down and kissed his cheek, smiling at him as she gave him a bottle and walked around, bouncing him in her arms slightly. Seeing that was a relief because at least it didn't look like he was in danger.

I carefully and slowly took out my long range listening device that had a small cone on one end and pointed it in Peggy's direction, twisting the knob to turn up the sensitivity and slipping in my earbuds to hear it. This thing could amplify sound up to 1,000 times so it could even pick up whispers from far away, listen through walls and it would also record. I slowly turned the dial until Peggy's voice could be heard clearly.

"So what do you want to do first Scotty? Should we go in and set up your nursery or help Daddy carry everything in from the van?"

Apparently that bitch changed his name to Scotty. What the hell? I wanted to scream out, "His name is fucking Charlie!" but of course I didn't.

"Yeah. You're right. We should definitely set your nursery up first so you have somewhere to sleep tonight, because you're not sleeping with Mommy and Daddy. We need alone time," she said with a smile.

Hearing her call them Mommy and Daddy was like nails on a chalkboard and I narrowed my eyes. She had some nerve. The audacity was just mind blowing. I got my phone out and texted the Chief.