Chapter 51 - Job Offer

*** Two 1/2 Months Later - Elodie's Point of View ***

I stopped by the office to grab some of the paperwork that needed to be signed for one of my new client accounts I had closed yesterday. I had forgotten to get their paperwork signed. 'Mom Brain' was a very real thing. I seemed to be forgetting a lot of things here lately.

I heard a knock on my office door and I turned around to see Blakely standing there in a business suit, leaning against the doorframe with her arms crossed.

"Hey rockstar. What the hell are you doing here? Weren't you supposed to give birth, like yesterday?" she laughed.

"Yes, yesterday was my due date but apparently this little guy wants to stay where it's warm and cozy for a little bit longer," I laughed, rubbing my huge stomach.

Blakely walked inside and sat down at the chair across from my desk.

"I just thought you'd like to know that the numbers just came out for the David Richardson ad campaign and they're the highest this firm has ever seen."

I raised my eyebrows. "Really? Are you serious?"

She smiled and nodded. "Dead serious. You're good Elodie. Probably the best I've ever seen. We were way out of our league with that one with a huge NBA star, but you were able to close the deal and now it's gone viral just like you said it would. It's so popular, we've got these huge top notch brands begging us to take them on when they usually only go with huge marketing firms out in L.A. or New York. We may be the best in Seattle, but on a national level, we're a small fish in a big pond."

I smiled and laid the paperwork down on my desk. "We're actually more like a shark," I said with a smirk. "But they just don't know it yet."

Blakely smiled. "I love your confidence. You're really incredible. You know that?"she asked, sitting back in her chair and crossing her arms, smiling at me. "You remind me more and more of myself every day."

"Well thank you. I take that as a compliment."

"You should," she nodded with a smirk, making me laugh and then she laughed too.

"No but seriously Elodie. You've got talent. I was actually looking back over your resume the other day and I saw that you wrote on there that your dream was to own your own business one day. I don't know if you know this or not, but I'm set to take over as CEO of this place when James retires in five years. When that happens, you could take over my position as marketing executive and who knows, maybe if you do well and play your cards right, I might make you partner and you could own half of this place with me."

My eyebrows raised and I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"Are you serious?" I asked, taking a seat behind my desk and looking at her in disbelief. "You really think I could be a partner one day?"

"Yes, I really do," she smiled. "What do you think about that?"

I sat there thinking about it and trying to picture my future as a partner in the marketing firm, wearing expensive suits, eating at five star restaurants, driving a Bentley and going on exotic vacations like Blakely did.

It sounded nice and everything, but it just didn't feel like me. A year ago I would've jumped at an opportunity like this, but now my priorities had changed. How could I have all that and a family?

"Blakely, do you ummm, do you mind me asking you a personal question?" I asked hesitantly.

"No, go right on ahead. Ask away."

I paused, thinking of the right words before saying, "You're such a beautiful woman. I'm sure you've had plenty of guys interested over the years. Why didn't you ever get married or have any kids?"