Chapter 15 - A Glimmer of Hope

His eyes looked into mine and he shook his head. "No. I don't have a girlfriend." 

My heart leaped and it felt like for the first time there was actually hope for me and Knox. 

"Oh, well I wasn't sure because when we first met, you said you had been going out on dates with somebody. I thought maybe you were still seeing her." 

"Oh no. We had gone out on two dates, but we only went out one more time after that before I realized we weren't a good fit. I haven't dated anybody since then." 

I nodded my head, trying to hold back a smile. 

"I actually have a really funny story to tell you. You're going to laugh." 

"Oh yeah?" he asked, raising one of his eyebrows curiously. "What is it?" 

"You remember that day we went to watch the basketball game and I met your sister Juni at your apartment?" 

"Yeah," he nodded. 

I laughed and hesitated for a second before continuing. 

"When Juni told me she lived there I just assumed she was your girlfriend and that she was pregnant with your baby." 

"What?" he laughed. "Damn. I thought Juni would have introduced herself and told you she was my sister. Why didn't you say something?" 

"I don't know. I thought about it, but then I felt too awkward to bring it up." 

 He shook his head and looked over at me thinking before he laughed.  "So this whole time you've really been thinking I had a pregnant live-in girlfriend?" he asked, with scrunched eyebrows. 

"Yeah, that's why I was so confused about why you asked me to come to the gala with you instead of her and that's why I said I would only go with you as a friend if she said no. I wasn't trying to be a homewrecker." 

"Now it all makes sense," he laughed. "I was so confused about why you were so insistent on me asking my pregnant eighteen year old little sister to come to a police gala with me that I knew she would be absolutely miserable at."

I cringed. "Ugh. Now that I know she's your sister I feel really silly. Obviously I need to leave the detective work to you," I laughed. "Hey, speaking of which, I still can't believe you actually caught Peggy. For a minute there I thought finding her was impossible but you did it." 

He smiled. "Yeah, it feels good knowing she's locked up and can't hurt any more people. Hopefully she stays that way," he said, letting out a sigh. 

The audience started clapping again as the mayor finished up his speech and then the police chief came out again and said, "Dinner is being brought out right now and then we're going to open up the dance floor. Thank you all so much for coming out tonight and showing your support of our local law enforcement. Donation jars are located around the room with the bright orange stickers on them and both cash and checks are accepted in those. If you prefer to donate by credit card or wire transfer, you can visit our website that's printed on the side of the donation jars. Donations of any size are appreciated so that we can continue expanding our new programs and getting more criminals off the streets of Seattle. Thank you and enjoy the rest of your evening!" 

The classical music started to play again in the background as waiters in black suits came around the table and set a plate in front of each person with a roasted chicken leg, mashed potatoes and steamed carrots. As we ate, we talked to the group around the table and it was obvious that Knox had known them for a long time. They seemed like really good people. 

As everyone finished eating, couples started heading out to the dance floor.

"Knox, why don't you ask that beautiful girl to dance before someone else does?" the elderly woman next to him asked with a smile.