Chapter 66

The next day we took cell block C and decided to take the rest of the prison later. I walked down the little flight of stairs that lead to the courtyard and to the locked gate where the rest of the group was. Rick, Daryl, Glenn, Isaac, T-Dog, Maggie and I helped clear out the cell block, while the rest of the group stayed locked in the field. Rick thought it would be safer but it only made Carl angry that he couldn't go. I walked over to the gate and unlocked it, letting in everyone to the courtyard littered with the bodies of dead walkers. It was hard but we cleared it. I was covered in blood and sweat.

"It's clear." I said as I unlocked the gate and unraveled the chain. Carl ran past me and into the prison with only a sigh coming from Lori. I waited for Hershel to grab the last of the supplies and I locked the gate behind me. I grabbed one of the larger bags and walked alongside Hershel.

"Finally found somewhere to call home." Hershel smiled.

"Yeah, I guess. Just hope this place works out." I replied.

"You don't have hope that it will?" Hershel asked.

"I don't know. Its been months since we found a safe place. It anything really safe anymore?" I sighed.

Hershel laughed and followed behind Beth up the stairs and into the prison. The little stairs led to the commons area with metal tables. It seemed to be the place where the prisoners could be social I guess. On the opposite side of the room there was the door the led to where the cells were.

I noticed Daryl walked out from the cell block and nod to me. I nodded back and lead the rest of the group to the cells.

"Are we supposed to sleep in the cells?" Carol asked.

"They're the safest that we've had in weeks." Rick sighed.

Carol gave a sad nod and we all went and chose our cells. I grabbed my bag and walked up the stairs to the second floor of cells which Daryl had cleared. It was just Daryl and I on the second floor of stairs which was fine by me. I had to persuade him to sleep in the cell instead of out on the perch. I walked into a cell and set down my things. There was a bunk bed with a mattress on each bunk. The walls had some blood on them, so I would have to clean that later. Daryl came in and set down his crossbow against the wall. I sat down on the bunk and Daryl sat down next to me.

"You ok?" I ask. He just scoffed.

"Yeah." he murmured. I knew he was lying to me and that there was something wrong.

"Daryl, is it Merle?" I ask.

Daryl had his head in his hands but looked up at me when I had asked about Merle. Merle was a touchy subject with him, seeing that Merle wasn't around anymore.

"Merle went to jail a lot. Mostly for drugs and shit like that. Seemed like he was in juvie most of my childhood, leaving me home alone with my dad. Sometimes I think he went to jail just to get away from him." Daryl said hunched over with his elbows leaning against his leg.

I could tell this Merle thing was really bugging Daryl and I felt helpless. There was no way to know what really happened to Merle and no way to tell if he is still alive or not.

"What happened in the past is in the past. I don't think Merle would want you to worry about past, wherever he is." I told him. Daryl looked at me and smirked.

"Merle is such a jackass that he wouldn't give a rat's ass." Daryl smirked.

Daryl and I laughed and got our things organized. Rick called a meeting and we all met up in the commons area. Rick had set up all the weapons and the guards riot gear that we had taken off some dead guards.