Chapter 56

Sarah's POV

I could feel Daryl's hand touch my face, but I knew I was dreaming. It was the same dream every night. He stood in front of me, his hand still against my cheek. I gently laid my hand over his own.

"Is this a dream?" I asked, even though I already knew the answer. I just wanted to hear his voice.

"Of course it is." he said back to me. I knew how this dream was going to end. I closed my eyes and reached down for the gun in my boot. I opened my eyes to a monster, walker Daryl. I lifted my gun as he reached out to me, ready to take a bite out of me.

"I love you." I pulled the trigger. I watched as the bullet went through his head and killed him.

I awoke from my dream. I had this dream every time I closed my eyes. It has been almost two weeks since Daryl was, well...shot. I looked over at Daryl who still hadn't woken up. I stretched my arms and got up from my chair. I walked towards the door and opened it to see Rick reaching his hand out to grab the door nob. Up until maybe two days ago, Rick had started acting odd. He stopped talking to me as much as he usually did and wouldn't make eye contact with me.

"How is he?" Rick asked while looking down at his feet.

"He made it through the night" I replied. Those six words had become my new catchphrase whenever anyone asked me about Daryl. I looked over at Daryl and sighed.

"Rick?" I said making circles with my foot and my hands in my pockets.

"Yeah?" he sighed and looked at me. It broke my heart, but I felt like I had to admit the truth to both Rick and myself.

"I don't think Daryl is going to wake up. I think we... I've lost him." my voice cracked. I could feel my tears falling down my cheek. Rick walked up to me and put his arms around me.

"He is stronger than you think. He'll pull through." he whispered into my ear as I restedmy head onto his shoulder. I lifted my head and wiped my tears.

"I'm going on a run and won't be back until late tonight." I said to Rick. I walked over to Daryl and put a kiss to his forehead.

"I love you." I whispered and left the room, dried tears staining my cheeks.

I grabbed what I needed from my bag and went to take a shower. It felt good to clean off all the dirt and sweat from my body. I turned the water off and grabbed a towel. I quickly stepped out and heard a knock at the door.

"It's Maggie!" I heard a cheerful voice coming from the hall. I wrapped the towel around me and opened the door. Maggie stood with a cup of hot coffee in her hand.

"Brought you some coffee!" she said in a very perky voice. I thanked her and took the coffee. What had gotten her so happy and perky this morning? Maggie left me to get ready and I closed the bathroom door behind her.

I took a sip of the coffee and dressed myself. I combed my hair and let it fall over my shoulders. I looked in the mirror.

"Today is going to be a good day." I murmured even though I was basically lying to myself. I opened the door and started walking towards the stairs. I took a sip of my coffee before walking down the stairs.

"Hey Maggie?" I yelled from the top of the stairs, but I realized that the kitchen was empty was I made my way down the stairs. I walked towards the dinning room to find only one person sitting with their back to me. I slowly started walking when I saw something so familiar it took my breath away. I saw two angel wings on the back of a black vest. I dropped my cup of coffee and it hit the floor with a loud bang. The sound made the one person at the table lift his head and turn around in their seat.

"Morin'." a southern drawl echoed in my ears. I couldn't breath, I couldn't move.

Daryl fucking Dixon.