Chapter 33

Sarah's POV
I woke up to the sound of a knock at the door. I rolled over onto my side and looked over my shoulder, trying to see who was at the door.

I rubbed away the sleep from my eyes and saw Daryl standing in the doorway. The sight of Daryl brought a small smile to my face. His face however told a different story. He seemed angry, but about what?

"Daryl," I said gesturing for him to come in. He came in and closed the door behind him. There was an awkward silence between us.

I sat up on the bed, ignoring the pain in my arms, back and ribs. Daryl's face held no emotion, only a poker face.

"Daryl," I was cut off by a deep voice.

"Don't." Daryl spoke.

I opened my mouth to speak but was cut off once again by Daryl, who had become red with anger.

"How could you do somethin' so stupid? I mean, of all the stupid things you coulda done, you ran into a herd of walkers!" he yelled.

I tried to think of something to say, but there were no words. I opened my mouth, but nothing came out.

"You just tryin' to get yourself killed evr'y chance you get!" he threw his arm into the air.

"You think I like gettin' hurt like this?" I yelled back. I was getting mad at the fact he was so mad.

"Yer just like everyone else! Leaving me behind like I was shit under your boot!" he yelled, finally tipping me over the edge. I stood up and got right in his face.

"You know what, Daryl? You are right! I left! I ran into a herd of walkers, almost got myself killed doing it! I did it without a hint of hesitation," I growled.

"You want to know why? I ran into that herd because I knew that if it meant you livin' just a second longer, than it would be worth it! It would be worth dyin' because I knew that it would keep you alive just that much longer!" I screamed at him.

"I was beaten! I was tortured! I was..." I was so close to saying it, but it would have gotten us nowhere.

I backed away and sat down on the bed, keeping as straight a face I could. All I wanted to do was cry, but I stood my ground. Daryl relaxed at my words, biting his lower lip.

"I...I love you Daryl, so much that it hurts." I spoke. I felt a single tear fall, but I kept straight. He looked up at me, his crisp blue eyes burning a whole in me.

Before he got a chance to say anything, I stopped him.

"Daryl, I love you so much that it hurts. It...it hurts to love you, knowing how much pain we cause each other." the words came poured out of me. My head fell into my hands.

I lifted my head and took my necklace off and held it in my hand.

"I'm sorry that I caused you that much pain. I never meant you any of it. All we do is fight and hurt each other, so I am putting a stop to it." I stood up and walked over to Daryl. I looked up into his deep, sad eyes and took his hand. I put the necklace in it and curled his fingers around it. The feeling of his skin against mine felt like sunshine on a cloudy day.

I let the tears fall. I stood up on my toes and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"I will always love you, Daryl Dixon." I whispered. I let go of Daryl's hand, he wrapped his fingers tightly around the wooden arrow. He looked up at me, sadness and pain filled his eyes. He turned and left the room, slamming the door behind him.

I sat down in a chair and wept into my hands. I knew that I loved Daryl Dixon, but all I brought him was pain. I knew that he would live longer if he didn't have to worry about me all the time.

This was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. The hurt on his face told me how he felt. I laid down on the bed and wrapped myself in the blanket, wanting nothing more than Daryl's arms around me, but I knew that it would never happen again, never.