Chapter 52

Snapping out of my trance, I ran past Lori and ran into the house, trying to find him. I saw Beth sitting in the kitchen with a sad expression on her face. "Where is he?" I asked her, trying not to cry. She pointed to the stairs and I quickly ran up them. I could hear men talking further down the hall, so I followed their voices.

The door at the end of the hall was open so I turned to walk into the room, only to step into a nightmare.

Rick was holding Daryl's wound while Hershel was giving him CPR. Maggie had a oxygen mask to his face, trying to get him to breathe. Daryl's hand was dangling from the side of the bed, lifeless.

"Oh god" I could no longer hold them back, I let my tears flow. Rick yelled something to T-Dog and he walked up to me, pushing me out of the room.

"No, I have to stay with him!" I yelled pushing back. I felt of arms wrap around my waist, bringing me back. I turned, wishing it was Daryl, but it was Shane. "Let go! Let go!" I screamed while trying to get away. He picked me up and took me down the stairs. When he finally let me go, I slapped him. He stood there and took it. I looked up at him, realizing what I had done.

I broke down crying, falling into Shane. He wrapped his arms around me, holding me. "He can't die, he can't," I said.

I couldn't even think of a world without Daryl Dixon, the man who had saved me. Yes, he saved me both physically and mentally. He helped save me out on the highway. Daryl saw the beauty in me after I was burned. He was the love of my life. He was my savior. He was more than that, he was my hope.