Chapter 40

Sarah's POV

The sound of the gunshot rang in my ears, sending a chill down my spine. Sobs filled the air around me. I pushed Rick away and stood up, walking over to her body. A sob wracked my body, my legs giving way under me. I expected to hit the floor, but strong arms caught me, lowering me to the ground.

"Im sorry..." a voice whispered into my ear. I turned my head and saw Daryl, his eyes holding only sadness.

I expected myself to scream and hit him, but I felt no anger. I was numb. I looked back to my sister and reached out to her, brushing away a single strand of hair blocking her face. She seemed almost, peaceful. She is no longer in any pain, no more suffering.

I leaned her and lightly kissed her forehead. "I'm so sorry. I love you." I whispered, tears threatening to spill over.

I slowly stood up, Daryl trying to help but I just pushed him away. I watched as Rick and Daryl carried Sophia and Grace's bodies away to be buried.

Carol had run to her tent after seeing Sophia, so I decided to go and check on her. Everyone tip-toed around me like I was going to break any second, but I ignored it. I searched for Carol, but finally found her sitting in the porch swing at the house. I sat down next to her, she was just staring blankly out to the sky.

"There holding the service soon. Want to come with me?"

"No, that thing their burying, that is not my little girl. That is not my Sophia. My Sophia died in the woods a long time ago." her voice cracked.

"Okay. If you ever want to talk, I'm here." with that I got up from my seat and walked over to where the funeral was being held. I didn't want to burden Carol with my sob story, so i decided to leave her be.

Daryl and Rick were digging the graves for Sophia and Grace. Pretty soon everyone had shown up, even Carol.

I felt a someone take my hand in theirs. Carol stood beside me, a sad expression on her face.

"Hey," I whispered.

"Hi. I'm sorry about your sister, Glenn told me what happened." she looked over to Glenn, who was standing on the opposite side of me. I nudged him with my shoulder, making him smile.

"Thanks."

He just nodded. Hershel started the funeral reading a passage in the bible, but I wasn't really listening. I just stared down to the empty graves and the two bodies wrapping in blankets lying beside them. One was a little girl, the other was my sister.

Once Hershel was done, everyone slowly walked away from the graves, leaving Rick and Daryl to bury Sophia and Grace. After Rick and Daryl buried them, Rick left, leaving just Daryl and I.

Daryl grabbed something from beside his crossbow and knelt down beside each grave, laying it on both graves. It was a beautiful white flower, its brightness lighting up the dark.

I walked over to the wooden cross and saw her name written into it. Seeing this was so much, and I started to cry. Daryl stood up and walked over to me.

"She's gone, now I am all alone." I cried.

"No," Daryl said, wrapping me in his arms. "You ain't alone. Not as long as i'm here."

"No, I am. It is all my fault that she is gone, I left her out there to die. It should be me in the ground, not her."

"Don't say that. None of this is your fault." he looked me sternly in the eyes. I wanted to kiss him, but I pulled myself back.

"It is, if I wasn't such an idiot, then I wouldn't have lost her. Or you."

"You didn't lose me, you never could." he pulled something out of his pocket. It was my necklace and the note I had written to him. He still had it...

"That thing with Jessica..."

"It didn't mean anything, she kissed me. She was trying to ruin whatever was going on between us." his eyes told me he was telling me the truth.

"I...I never wanted to hurt you." he looked down to the graves beside us.

"It is over now." I kissed his cheek, making him smile.

"There's that smile." I laughed. He put his arms around my waist and I wrapped my arms around his neck.

"I have one question." I asked.

"What?"

"Will you still love me in the morning?" he just smiled. I quickly brought my lips to his. He kissed me back. This kiss held so much emotion, so much passion. I wish this could have lasted forever.