Chapter 18

Sarah's POV

I headed over to the porch to see if I could find Rick. I needed to apologize to him for being so rude. I hopped up the steps, skipping a step or two. I opened the door and saw Lori and Rick talking to Hershel who was sitting in a chair at the table.

I cleared my throat, causing all three to look at me. "Rick, can I talk to you for a sec?" I asked, he walked over to me.

"I wanted to apologize about earlier. I was real rude to you." I said.

"It's alright. No need to explain." he said making me wonder why I wouldn't have to explain. Rick walked back over to Lori and Hershel. He said something to them that I couldn't hear and walked out the front door.

"Hey Sarah, can you cook?" Lori asked as I was about to walk out the door. "Yeah a little. Why?" I asked.

"Well, we are making some dinner for Hershel and his family and I thought maybe you might want to help." Lori said.

"Sure I'd love to help." I said. I could feel every bone in my body ache but I knew that I needed to pull my weight around here.

"That's great. I'm going to find Carol and ask her if she would like to help. Be right back." Lori said and with that she was out the door leaving my alone in the kitchen. I walked over to the counter and started to wash and peel some potatoes from the garden Hershel had.

After about an hour of working and cooking, Lori, Carol and I made a fine meal and had set the table. I had done a fine job at making the mash potatoes that my grandmother had made when I was a little girl. They were almost the same, but there was something so special about her mash potatoes that mine where nothing compared to hers.

It was my job to round everyone up for dinner so I ran around the farm, calling them for dinner. I had found almost everyone except Daryl and Jessica.

I knew where Daryl was and had a pretty good idea where Jessica was. I walked over to what used to be my tent and sorta knocked on the outside of it. I unzipped it and saw her holding my picture of my sister and I.

"Hey, do you always go through peoples things?" I ripped the photo from her hand. She gave me a shocked look before standing up. I saw that my stuff was lined up on the floor of the tent as if she was making sure she knew what each thing was. I pushed passed her and shoved my things into my bag, wrapping up my sleeping bag.

I stepped outside the tent and saw her standing there, looking at me like I was an animal going through her things. I gave her the look back and threw the bag over my shoulder.

"Dinner is ready. Its up in the house tonight." I said, leading her to the house. She walked behind me and I could feel her eyes burning a whole into my back. I stopped and realized that I had to go and get Daryl, so I stopped walking causing her to bump into me.

Before I could yell at her, a familiar voice came rang out. "Hey!" Daryl called walking over form his little hidden camp. He was wearing a unbuttoned flannel shirt, showing his undershirt. His vest was on and he had his crossbow over his shoulder.

"He's somethin' huh?" she said. I rolled my eyes, not commenting. As he was walking up to me, Jessica stood up straight and adjusted herself from behind me. It made me laugh to think he would ever have an interest in her. I opened my mouth to call out to him when a voice came out from behind me.

"Hey, dinner's ready!" Jessica called out. I looked back at her with a sort of glare. She never moved her eyes from him. She started walking over to the house, looking over she shoulder every one in a while until finally she made it into the house. I wanted to strangle her, the nerve of that girl.