Prologue: Nana and Grandkids

No one's POV

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

A school called Lone Star High School, which had started out an all white school but has now opened the doors for everyone, is now one the most populated school in the area. A single grade can have over can over 200 students in a class. As years went on though numbers dropped due to the law changes and many white people moved to the North where they're more populated.

Shawn is an 18 year old boy, who was raised on the good side of the tracks, but by his nanny. His parents weren't around because as they put it was "too young and wanted to experience life before taking responsibility."

Shawn's parents were those type of white people who think they aren't racist until there's a difference in how they see the world. (A/n: did that even make sense?) They claim how there's nothing wrong with black people, but when my school took down the 'whites only' sign it was a suddenly a problem...to them.

Shawn's Pov

My nanny, well I call her Nana, is a black woman. Of course, my parents accepted her, because...well she WORKS for them. Nana raised me since I was a baby and I'd take a bullet for her any day. She's taught me everything I needed to know and has helped me through a lot.

Nana also has a grandson, who she'd bring with her to work during the summer named Deon. You could say we got along. He was very...rough when it came to playing. His excuse for it all the time was because his cousin was always play fighting with him, and he had to get stronger to beat her one day.

(A/n: Ladies and Gentlemen, did y'all ever have that one cousin boy/girl y'all always played fight with?)

It never made sense because his cousin was a girl. He should have been able to win, because when we play I always ended up hiding behind Nana. She'd just laugh and tell Deon:

"Don't be so rough with 'im!"

And then just go back to work. I used to make fun of him for being weak against this girl even though I had no room to speak because he always beat my ass. But it was all fun and games until I met her. Nana brought her granddaughter to meet me.

She had a complexion a little darker than Deon and was tall for a 6 year old. We all are the same age but she was taller than the both of us. She was brutal when it came to the teasing and jokes about us. She even went as far as calling me 'whitey' one time and Nana took her to the restroom to wash her mouth with soap. I didn't understand why that was bad but I sympathized for her because I've had my mouth 'washed' for repeating things my parents said too.

After that Nana had sat all of us down to talk and explained why what Megan said was wrong, and how all this being mean attitude from all of us had to stop. We all said our apologise and Nana dismissed us with a 'go on about yo business now.'

You'd think after the speech we'd be all nice to each other, so when Megan suggested we play outside Nana told us to only play in the backyard since being in the front could cause trouble. So that's what we did, all three of us went out and started playing tag, freeze tag, hide n seek, tag with no timeouts, or whatever we were able to make up. And then that day I learned that girls can be very strong.

Deon and Megan got into it and of course I was taking his side. He told me bros have to stay together, no matter who the girl is. But the consequence of me picking his side meant she had to fight me too. She was handling both of us at the same time. Sad things is she was never hitting is it was just...wrestling. She was strong and tall, and used it to an advantage against me. Deon had tapped out when he got out of her reach and left me behind to deal with the manly little girl.