Chapter 42: A Man In Uniform

Megan's Pov:
(30 minutes before the reunion)

"We got sent to this prison." Joshua whines.

"Son, for the last time, this is a boot camp." The man who got us off the bus reminded Josh for the 10th time. I highly doubt there's a another chance he'd remind him.

"What do you mean?" Our teacher on the only line of the phone questions.  Josh takes a deep breath in before letting it all go at once before talking again.

"Miss. Fairfields, there was a mix up with our transportations. We are at Area 39, not the camp site." 

"What do you want me to do about it?"

"We have no preparations for this assignment."

"You have a camera and notebook. That's all you'll need. You can write a newspaper about whatever you want, just finish it." I'm going to loose my mind. I don't have things to stay here surrounded by men. I snatch the phone from Joshua to speak to her myself.

"We don't have any necessities to stay here."

"Miss. Megan, I understand that-"

"We need a bus to come get us."

"That won't be happening. That's extra expense being taken away from students who have yet to be sent off for their projects."

"What if we provided to leave?"

"And how would you contact Henry and Howard to go to the base?" Good question.

"We can figure something out, but I can't just stay here. It won't be safe for me-"

"Joshua is there so no complaining. If you don't finish this assignment by the time it is TIME for you to return, repayment would need to be discussed and a failing grade would need to be made up."

"This isn't right."

"It's life and you both are just going to have to deal with it." I had Josh the phone cause I just might embarrass myself in front of all these people in here. Joshua took her off speaker phone so they could finish the conversation alone. 

"Yes, ma'am."

"Bye." He put the phone back on the dial.

"So were just stuck here?" No point in asking, I know the answer.

"We did have rooms prepared for Henry and Howard so you'll have your own rooms to stay in. Forgive us, y'alls rooms are on opposite sides of the building. We can designate someone who can watch your room over night if you'd like." 

"That's not my only problem. We just saw soldiers running around in the back. I don't have the proper clothing for all 5 weeks of staying here."

"We can provide clothes for you. No worries. We have to notify the lieutenant about your arrivals." 

"Okay." Now apologize, it's not their fault you're here. "I'm sorry taking my frustration out on you."

"Oh no, I completely understand. If my daughter was in your position, all of hell will break loose. Please sign these papers, and we'll be back with you in a bit."

.

.

(During Lunch)

"Young lady, your safety and your friends safety is our top priority on these grounds. I'm not an idiot to think that some of these soldiers, including workers would be appropriate. I will provide you safety, that's one think you bet on."

"Thank you."

"No need to thank me."

"So why is this place built the way it is?" Joshua intervenes seeing how our conversation was ending.