Bonus: A Human Heart (Part 6)

[LEANE'S POV]

"Go away."

Evil twins.

The said twin, appeared before my eyes, but I refused to look at the prankster–whichever he was– and since I was sitting, I looked straight into his dark blue tunic embroidered with golden leaves of Rivendell.

"My eyes are up here."

I actually looked up at him, shooting daggers with my glare.

"If looks can kill..."

"What do you want, Elladan?"

"To talk," he said with a happy go lucky smile, his expression easy and playful, his hands hidden behind his back.

"What's on your hands?" I asked.

Elladan lifted his dark brows, pool of silver that was his eyes confused. "Nothing."

"Oh. I thought you were hiding a knife waiting to stab me from my back. Again," I said with resentment in my voice.

The young lord of Rivendell looked pleasantly surprised and quite scandalized. "My, that's a really good one."

I was this close to calling Sylvanna to drag him away. "Leave me alone," I muttered. Since he refused to listen, I pressed my lips together, annoyed. "What makes you think that I want to talk to you after what you've done to me?" I snapped angrily.

Our eyes locked. For whatever reason, sympathy passed in his eyes. "Because I was the only one who opposed the idea in the first place. I was the only one who stood up for you."

"Why should I believe you?"

"Because it's the truth. What we did to you, was performed once before, though I know it is wrong to do so," he said with a melancholy look in his expression, a look that I very rarely seen on the twins, "It was done to our naneth. Ada did it. But it did her no good."

I sighed inwardly at hearing this part of his life that he never shared before. Sympathy quickly overpowered my anger. "I'm sorry, Dan."

He smiled gently at me, unlike the usual mischievous smile he usually had on his face. "I am sorry, too. At this moment everyone realizes that it was wrong, what we did. Everyone but me, obviously, since I knew from the start that it was wrong."

"Yet you did anyway. Why?" my voice cracked, but before more tears slipped from my eyes, I quickly wiped it away, allowing myself to be angry instead.

Ever the gentleman, or rather gentle elf, Elladan pulled out a pristine handkerchief and offered it to me as he saw the way my expression gave away my feelings.

"No," I refused. "I bet you already lost many of those trying to console my daughter during my unfortunate moments."

Elladan's eyes went as wide as saucer, almost horrified. His mouth agaped slightly, stunned. I continued, slightly pleased to see him speechless.

"And just so you know, if you hurt my daughter in any way, I will personally find you and strung you above the nearest tree. You know I can do it without even straining a muscle," I threatened him.

Elladan pressed his lips together and nodded. "Threat duly noted," he quipped and I rolled my eyes. Then, I resumed my sulking activity as I stared at the ground beneath our feet.

Silence was heavy between us. Trying to steer the conversation away from me, I broke the silence, trying to muster nonchalance. "What happened to your mother?"

At my question, Elladan straightened up and back from his own reverie and put back his handkerchief inside his pocket. "After we recovered her from the orcs' captivity, we managed to heal her bodily injuries. But the mind," now it was Elladan's turn to sulk, as it seemed, for the grief that was in his eyes earlier returned briefly, "Mind sickness had overtaken our naneth. Such was the kind that elves might suffer in the face of trauma. After what the orcs did to her for so long…"