4. Seeing The Glass Half Full

I managed to find my way back to my room that day, looking down every time I passed an elf on my way, not wanting them to see through me. I spent the entire day crying until sleep overtook me. By now I knew positively that this was reality and not a fantasy. I didn't hit my head and imagined all of this, because if I did, it would not make any sense for the pain and the depression of losing the life that I once knew to be this real and tangible. It didn't matter anymore that this whole thing was a fiction I watched on my screen months ago–this was now my reality and this was now my world.

I didn't know what happened to my family. Did they realize I was missing? Were they looking for me? How long had the time passed there since I was gone? Were they still alive?

I tossed and turned in my sleep. At some point I thought I heard a knock on my door but I was just too exhausted to even answer it, and I continued forcing myself to sleep, willing myself to forget everything else and not to feel as long as I could.

***

Sleep did its magic by clearing my mind. Though it didn't exactly wipe away the hollow in my chest, I decided not to act like a baby anymore. I had to be strong. Weakness was never a good look. I sure as hell didn't want to sulk forever like a spoiled brat.

So the next day I took a bath and went out, hoping that my eyes weren't that red and puffy anymore because of crying. God, I didn't even want to look at myself in the mirror. I must look really ugly.

I went to my favorite garden and sat, willing the beautiful view and the fragrance of the flowers in the air to ease my mind.

It didn’t help much.

I sat there for what felt like hours. I felt numb, knowing that world was long gone now and that I no longer have a home to get back to.

I didn't belong anywhere.

I realized how dark were my thoughts had become, so I tried hard to focus on the good: I have a permanent residence here at Rivendell.

At least I won't end up wandering in a forest and get eaten by an orc, I thought.

I also spent some time to think about my next move about the Fellowship, and I absent-mindedly played with my Infinity ring, twisting it in my finger. Lord Elrond mentioned that the bearer of each ring was always gifted with something. I wondered if I had a gift as well? And, for the love of everything good and pure, please don't tell me I only got the knowledge of everyone's fate as the only gift.

What a terrible, terrible gift, I thought.

"Good afternoon, Leane," I looked back through my shoulder and saw Legolas with all his glory stood and smiled politely at me.

"Hey," I replied with a small smile. Not bothering to replied with 'good afternoon' because nothing was good about that noon. He came to stand near me and I gestured for him to sit next to me.

To be honest I preferred to be left alone, but I guess I wouldn't be very courteous to just ignore him and let him stand.

He smiled at the invitation and took a seat on the bench next to me. His movement graceful as he moved to take a seat.

How is it that a simple movement like taking a seat can be so graceful done by an elf? Damn the elvish perks. I envied him for that.

Seemed that time passed as we sat there in a half comfortable silence. Normally I would try to start a conversation, but I was too numb to even start one. Legolas' face remained calm and expressionless. I was under the impression that he wanted to say something before he really did speak.