37 🩺 Home Time

Hongjoong pulled his messenger bag further over his shoulder as he waited at the West wing, checking his phone.

He had sent Wooyoung a million messages, but hadn't gotten a single reply back.

Okay, so it wasn't exactly the plan for Hongjoong to go home that night. He'd been given a spot of relief when another doctor turned up for a shift by mistake, and had decided to just stay and work the shift anyway. But that left him with no way of getting home...

Dialling Wooyoung's number again, he glanced at his watch. It wasn't even ten pm. Surely he was still awake...

The number you have dialled, is not available. Please l-

Hongjoong swore under his breath. Perhaps he'd have to sleep in the crappy on-call room after all...

'Ooh? Kim Sonsaengnim?'

Hongjoong turned around to see Seonghwa walking towards him. He was dressed in plain clothes as well, his bag over his shoulder.

'Seonghwa,' Hongjoong said, genuinely surprised to see him. 'Are you finished for the day?'

He nodded. 'I was just headed home... What are you doing out here?'

'Oh... Yeah umm, about that...' Hongjoong glanced at his phone again. All of his messages had been left on unread.

'I was supposed to be on-call, but then some other agency doctor turned up by mistake and long story short, we swapped shifts. So I was going to go home.. but my roommate isn't answering his phone...'

'Kang Sonsaeng? I literally just saw him on the ward...?' He said, sounding distinctly confused.

'Oh, no sorry. Yeah I live with another guy as well.' He checked his phone. Nothing.

'Do you need a lift? Do you live far?'

Hongjoong literally felt his eyes go soft. 'That would be amazing... It's literally only ten minutes down the road... Probably five this late...'

Seonghwa nodded. 'That's fine. Come on, I'll drive you.'

'Oh my gosh, thank you.'

As they fell into step, Hongjoong noticed how much more relaxed Seonghwa was than that morning. It intrigued him.

It wasn't that he was perfectly calm and collected... There was just something about him... more docile?

They didn't really speak too much as they walked to the parking lot, or even in the car along the way. Hongjoong just gave directions now an again. The silence was comfortable somehow. Both exhausted after a busy day.

... Or at least, until Hongjoong got home...

'That's weird...'

Seonghwa glanced over at him as he undid his seatbelt. 'What's weird?'

'The- the lights are off...' He looked down at his phone. His messages were still all unread.

Wooyoung never went to bed early. He detested getting more than the bare minimum of sleep, since he was so scared of getting nightmares...

'That's okay, thanks Seonghwa. I'll just go up now... Thank you for the lift...'

Seonghwa shook his head. 'It's fine. I'll wait here until you go in.'

Hongjoong nodded, too confused with the lights situation to really be too concerned with why Seonghwa would wait for him to go up first.

... But it was a good thing he did.

Hongjoong walked up the stairs to their apartment complex and sifted through his bag for his keys...

Fuck.

...

I'm locked out.

~~~

A/N: literally my worst fucking nightmare