Chapter 35

"Nami, we absolutely loved your work. We would like to get the ball rolling with this as soon as possible. How does $15,000 sound to start? And, we would like a sequel. For that we can offer an advance of $5,000 now."

Nami was speechless. Her first published book and a request for another. She would be walking out of here with $20,000 and another book deal.

Once her and Tsunade went over her contract, Nami signed. She was invited to a company party over the weekend.

"It will be such a great opportunity for you to meet our other writers and editors. I understand you already know Kakashi?"

"Kakashi is... very nice. Thank you Tsunade! I will be there!"

"It's formal!" Tsunade shouted as Nami was walking out of her office.

~~~

Madara's car was already waiting outside Konoha Times to take her to dinner.

"So, does that mean you'll finally be moving into a better neighborhood?"

"I don't think so. I have actually grown really attached to my little studio."

"Hn."

"Umm, Madara, can we not talk about anything work related?"

Madara looked up from his glass, "Yes, I'd like that very much."

Dinner was actually pleasant. Once Nami got Madara off the topic of where she lived, she found she didn't want him to stop talking. He had so many stories of different artists he worked with and fights he'd gotten into them. He opened up to her about Izuna and what a visionary he was.

"I could show you all of these old films if you'd like? Some date back to the twenties."

"Really? You would let me see them?"

"Come on."

~~~

At the Uchiha suites, Madara had a whole private movie room set up. Behind a locked door, Madara kept hundreds or rolls of film. Some looked to be labeled as family videos while others were costume tests and cut scenes.

Madara stared at Nami as she watched the screen with her wide and starry eyes. She was beautiful and he would make her all his.

Nami could feel his gaze and found herself enjoying it. Her time in Kiri had left her so lonely. Since moving back to Konoha she never felt alone. She didn't mind it.

Facing his dimly lit face, Nami spoke, "Do you want to come to a party with me this weekend?"

"If that is what you would like, then yes."

"Tabloids be damned!"

Madara loud, booming laugh filled the tiny theater. She went to Madara's chair. He pulled her into his lap. Hours had passed as they watched rolls and rolls of film and emptied several bottles of wine.

"Thank you for showing me all of this. I'm honored."

"Most would be bored looking at all of this old stuff."

"Boring?! I don't think so! This is all your life, your accomplishments and a living diary of sorts. It's like... your testimony. Your signature upon this earth."

"My testimony, is that so?"

"Call it what you will. But in the future, when you're dead and gone. When all of our friends are gone, this is how the world will remember you. The art you leave behind."

Madara kept silent. His heart ached for her innocence as he no longer believed in what she was saying. Perhaps once upon a time he shared these dreams to leave his mark on the world, to change it for the better. He cupped her face and kissed her passionately, hoping perhaps some of her optimism would transfer to him.

She didn't realize the feeling at first; but, when he kissed her, Nami felt dark tendrils wrap around her. She simply shrugged this feeling off and leaned into Madara's embrace.