College World Series

It wasn't ideal by any means, but Viv was popping bottles of champagne on a private jet with Cy, her parents, her siblings and her teammate on the way to Omaha only six hours after winning the NCAA Beach Volleyball National Championship. Viviana was already named PAC XII Player of the Year before the tournament and was then named tournament MVP, NCAA Beach Volleyball Player of the Year and AVP First Team and MVP. She racked up enough points for her bid to go to the Olympic Trails in August. Despite all that the only thing on her mind was heading to see her boyfriend in game five against Vanderbilt.

Viviana dressed and got ready on the plane hoping to be ushered in as opening ceremonies were starting. That's exactly what happened. Viv kept her head down as she walked through the tunnel into their seats behind the UCLA dugout. They were the home team. She stood with her hands behind her back as the National anthem played loudly and the jets made a flyover the stadium. Viv sat between Naomi and Cy and adjusted her USC National Champion shirt. God forbid she was ever caught dead in that god awful Bruin blue.

The first three innings were scoreless on both sides and Nolan was absolutely demolishing any ball that was hit to him at shortstop. Markus Betts was flirting with a homer and had flied out on his last two hits. He was up to bat and Viv clenched her jaw hoping that he would strike out since bases were loaded.

"Here we go," Cy mumbles under his breath and sinks down into his chair.

Viv sits up a little straighter and watches as Nolan checks his defense card on his wrist. Markus watches the first pitch nods and then steps back into the box. Nolan adjusts. UCLA only has one out...

Markus sends a line drive that drops straight to Nolan who makes the catch getting Markus out. Nolan dives for second where the Vandy runner had already left tagging him out on the dive. Viv jumps up and cheers as the stadium erupts from the amazing double play. The entire UCLA team gets hyped as they run in to go to bat with the energy in their favor.

Nolan's walk up song, Middle Child by J. Cole, plays and he struts up obviously feeling himself after that amazing ESPN Top 10 play. He nods to his dad as he walks by Cody and Rose who were sitting behind home plate. Viv holds her breath on the first pitch a low fastball called as a ball. Second pitch was a 97 mph fastball right in the strike zone. One-one.

Nolan takes a deep breath and watches another fastball strike fly past him. He fouls the next pitch. Two balls. Full count. Nolan is very aware this guy was throwing some heaters and that was probably coming next. Nolan goes, but watches as the ball drops sharply. Ball, but the entire UCLA dugout is claiming he swung. Nolan takes a deep breath and sends pleading eyes to the infield umpire who jogs over for a replay.

He didn't swing. That was the final call.

Nolan steps back in the box for hopefully the last time. This time its definitely gonna be a heater. He is right as he steps and swings up through the pitch sending it out to Markus Betts in right field who is tracking the ball all the way to the wall. Markus jumps and robs Nolan of what would have been the first home run of the game. Nolan yells 'fuck' out of frustration and Viv knows he's struggling.

Three more scoreless innings as Vanderbilt and UCLA head into the eighth innings of the College World Series.

"This is gonna have to pick up from someone," Cy mumbles to Viv as he finishes off his most recent beer.

Viv nods, "It doesn't help that no one of UCLA can hit tonight."

"Agreed, but at least they're playing defense," Cy adds and then the two go back to watching in tense silence.

There are two runners on for UCLA as Nolan comes up to hit.

"Swing through!" Cy yells at his brother who had been check swinging pretty much all night after his homer was robbed. Nolan heard CY despite the loud crowd in Omaha.

Viv clenches her fist as Vanderbilt calls time to call in a different pitcher from the bull pen. Cy cringes as the best closer in college jogs out, to 'Enter the Sandman'.

"Nolan's fucked he hasn't hit off this guy all series," Cy grimaces.

Viv looks to the Jumbotron and squints making sure she was reading the name on the back of the Vanderbilt jersey correctly, "Cole, as in Gerrit Cole?"

"Its his youngest," Cy confirms. "He's supposed to be drafted to the Brewers this year."

"Holy shit," Viv mumbles and places a hand on her brow to cover the stress.

Nolan shows visible stress as Tyler Cole takes the mound and throws his warmup pitches. Nolan shakes his shoulders a few times and steps into the box. Viv holds her breath as Tyler throws a 102 mph fastball right down the middle on the plate. Nolan had started his swing early and connected on the end of the bat, but somehow got just enough of it to send it into right field with enough power that Markus didn't even bother to track it out.

The crowd screams as Nolan and the other two runners head home making the score 3-0 UCLA. Viv cheers loudly and gives Nolan a thumbs up as he runs by, which he returns.

~*~

Omaha didn't have much of a nightlife and no one was really concerned with going out. Nolan had made it very clear that he just wanted to head back home to Los Angeles after winning the College World Series and the tournament MVP. Nolan had won PAC Defensive player of the year, the Brooks Wallace Award for shortstop of the year. Baseball All-America, and the Golden Spikes Award. Player of the Year was awarded to Markus Betts unfortunately.

Viv waited for the UCLA plane to touchdown at the LAX tarmac so her and Nolan could head to their new apartment. She was so excited for Nolan to see how she had decorated while he was in Omaha.

Viv ran into Nolan's arms mumbles congratulations as he did the same. The couple were college champions and arguably the best players in their sport.

"Let's go home," Nolan mumbled into Viv's hair.

Viv nods and smiles, "yeah we've got a wedding to go to."

"I'm just thankful Zana and McCoy changed the dates so we could both go," Nolan says as he puts his bags in the trunk of Viv's car.

"I know it would have been a nightmare," Viv agrees.

Nolan holds Viv's hand as she takes the 405 to their apartment, which was smack in the middle between UCLA and USC campuses. Nolan is unsure what to expect when he walks into the apartment he had only seen once before. He still was having a hard time wrapping his head around the fact that he and Viv were going to live together for their junior year. He still was having a hard time wrapping his head around winning the College World Series.

Viv is all smiles as she hits the button to the 7th floor of the building and leads Nolan to their apartment. She never through she would find someone worth her time in college, who could understand her life and family, but here she was moving in with Nolan Bellinger of all people.

Nolan follows Viv in and smiles widely, "yeah this is home..."