Prologue - Part 1

The same question ran through my head for two years straight, and yet I could never quite reach an answer

The same question ran through my head for two years straight, and yet I could never quite reach an answer. That's quite an achievement considering I spent more hours than I could count in solitary confinement with only my thoughts to keep me company.

Which is worse? The betrayal by one you regard as a lover and a life partner, or the betrayal by one that you regard as a brother?

In my 26 years of life, there have only been two times I've felt that kind of betrayal - the kind that leaves you questioning everything about yourself. Once at the hands of a lover, and once at the hands of a brother.

Still, after two years I hadn't figured out which one was worse.

"You okay?"

And there goes my peaceful silence - or as silent as you can get in a place like this.

"Sí." (Yes)

"You sure bro? Because you've been staring at that ceiling for half an hour now."

Finally I turned my head to look at my cell mate Kade, noticing the amusement dancing in his eyes. "You're not my brother Kade."

"Ah, you say that everyday my friend, but I'm the poor soul who's been stuck in here with your ass for two years now. Whether you want to admit it or not, we're brothers."

I let out a deep sigh, looking up at the ceiling again. "You're pathetic if you believe that."

Of course he only just laughed at that. At first he wasn't so comfortable around me when he realised this 'bitchy' mood of mine was actually my personality and not a temporary mood. But now I guess after spending two entire years locked in a cell with me, he's become too comfortable for his own good.

"You got 24 hours left now, huh? Promise me you'll stay out of trouble Roman." This time when he spoke, I sat up from my lying position on the springy bed and turned to face him.

He didn't know who I was or who my family was - that was one of the rules placed on me by my father when he declared I was 'stupid enough to get myself into this mess'.

Apparently love was stupid to him.

"Trust me Kade, it will never happen again."

"Ah yes, because you've sworn off ever feeling anything ever again." He spoke in a mocking tone, exaggerating what I once told him. "I didn't say it like that. I don't intend to fall in love again, I never said I wouldn't feel anything."

"My friend, you're a guy, you have a penis - you're going to fall in love. It's inevitable. The sooner you accept that, the better. It's not healthy for you."