Chapter 22 - Family Is All That Matters

I'm really on a roll with these updates 🥹

Thank you for reading! Enjoy this chapter ❤️

Even two weeks after that night I still couldn't find a way to get her out of my head

Even two weeks after that night I still couldn't find a way to get her out of my head. I tried everything - work, gym, cigarettes, drugs, alcohol - everything apart going to another woman like most men do.

I couldn't do that. She was the only one I wanted and I already knew the thought of being with another woman just repulsed me. I could never do it.

But if we were completely over like she made it seem, then I wasn't sure how I'd ever move on again in the future. She took my freaking heart with her when she walked out of the gym.

I hurt the one person I never wanted to hurt, in the worst way possible. It just all happened and I stood there in the gym watching everything unravel completely out of my control.

"Roman?" The sound of Alex's tentative voice caused me shift my gaze away from my laptop, giving him a cold look. "What?"

"Your dad wants us in his office for a meeting." His nervous expression only angered me more while he stood awkwardly in the doorway of my office. "Fine. I'll be there in five minutes."

Turning back to the work I was doing, I was aware of him still standing there although I didn't bother to acknowledge him. "Do you want to go for a drink later?"

He'd been asking me that damn question everyday for the last week. It's as if he thought one day I was going to just suddenly change my mind.

My silence gave him my answer to his question. He let out a sigh, leaving me to finish my work before the meeting. Once I was done, I headed down the hallway to my father's office.

"Roman, take a seat." The moment I walked in, I resisted the urge to turn around and leave when I saw it was only my father and Alex in the room. Doing my best not to look at Alex, I sat down on one of the chairs across from my father's desk, waiting for him to get to the point.

For the next half an hour he talked us through some upcoming business deals that he had, one of which was of much importance to him.

"I want you and Alex to handle this one. It'll be good for you to go to Caracas yourselves, without any interference from myself or your grandfather. Think of it as the ultimate test."

Maybe a business trip to Venezuela is exactly what I need - just to get the hell away from here.

"Fine but I can go alone. I don't need him." My response caused Alex's head to snap in my direction while my father's gaze only hardened. "Roman, that's not up for discussion. Alex is going to be your right hand man. He will accompany you on every trip like this in the future, including this one."

"Like I said, I don't need him." When I refused to back down, my father shook his head glancing over at Alex then he looked at me again. "This has gone on for long enough, Roman. I can see whatever this is, it's hurting both you and Alex. But as soon as it starts to hurt the cartel then it becomes my concern."