Chapter 24 - It Hurts

⚠️ This chapter contains graphic descriptions of a miscarriage and other triggering topics. Please read with caution. ⚠️

Guys this chapter is so sad. There is a short scene that some might uncomfortable so I will leave a marker where you can skip if you need to.

Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoy this chapter ❤️

It was clear to see that she was using her experience as a doctor to let me digest the news before she launched into a long medical diagnosis

But apart from the pain in my heart, I couldn't feel anything else.

"Isadora, you were seven weeks pregnant and the chances for a miscarriage at this point are quite high. I know it's upsetting, but due to the nature of the miscarriage it should have no bearing on any of your future pregnancies."

Nodding my head, I pushed away the covers on my bed.

"Can I go now?" My question caused her to frown before she shook her head, concern shining in her eyes. "Not just yet. We need to discuss what happens next."

"What do you mean?"

"At this point nothing can be done to save the pregnancy. Now, I would advise you to wait for the tissue to pass out naturally but-"

"Wait, what?" I cut her off, completely confused by what she was saying. She stayed completely patient with me, showing her professionalism as a doctor. "When a miscarriage occurs, whatever had formed inside the uterus must still pass out. Anything after 16 weeks usually requires hospital treatment, but as you were only 7 weeks, the tissue will pass out naturally."

"Like a period?" With a nod, she continued to explain my options to me. "You can wait for it to happen naturally which can take any time up to four weeks, although it will usually happen faster than that. You can also opt to take some medication that will speed up the process, if you haven't already started bleeding. The medication will be administered here at the hospital, but it won't take effect for a few hours so you're free to go home and wait for it there."

"Will...will I see my baby?" It probably sounded like a dumb question, but at that point I felt like I was completely and utterly lost. This was the last thing I expected to happen and I had no clue what a miscarriage was like.

"That depends how close you look, Isadora. The tissue will be dark and shiny, and if you look close enough you might see the embryo, yes." I could tell that question made her uncomfortable, just by the look in her eyes.

All I could do was nod my head, suddenly feeling sick at the thought of seeing all the blood later.

"C-can I have the medication please?" The last thing I wanted was to wait weeks for this to happen. "Okay, let me speak to the nurses and I'll have the dosage prepared. I'll need to confirm you haven't started bleeding before you take anything though. Also, the nurse will go through the possible side effects of the medication with you."