Chapter 32 - Mark My Words

⚠️ TW - this chapter contains mentions of a miscarriage. ⚠️

Enjoy! Don't forget to vote and comment ❤️🥹

I never came here with the intention of making up with him completely

Sure I was willing to try, but in the back of my mind I really thought I would make him work harder if I was ever to start fresh again with him. But hearing his story and everything he went through just hurt me in a way I never saw coming.

And I couldn't bear to be the reason he had to suffer even one more ounce of pain.

"I don't like being here in her house." I was still sitting there hugging him in the house he basically shared with his ex. It just didn't feel right.

"It wasn't hers. She never actually lived here. But that's fine, baby." Roman murmured those words into my hair causing me to pull away just enough to see his face.

"You can't call me that."

"Why not?" Of course he was only amused at this. "Because we're not together."

"But we could be."

"But we're not." I flashed him a stern look and a velvety chuckle escaped his lips. "Fine, fine. Don't worry. I won't call you baby again."

We both knew that was bullshit.

"Can you finish your story about your ex before we leave? I kind of want to leave any thoughts about her here."

"Sure." He let me go and I shuffled away on the couch to get comfortable again. This time though, I kept my hand intertwined with his.

"So after I came out of prison, I spent most of my time just trying to get used to it. Everything changed, in ways I couldn't even imagine." A ghost of a frown appeared on his face telling me this feelings ran a lot deeper than he was showing me. "But that's a story for another time."

So I guess that's the stuff he really doesn't want to say out loud then.

Shaking himself out of his thoughts, he averted his gaze away from me to continue with his story.

"I was trying to catch up on everything I missed business-wise and I guess I just ignored whatever didn't concern me for the moment. That included Alex's business with Jackson at the gym. I had so much more to catch up on that it just never occurred to me to even find out what he had going on there. I don't have an excuse for what happened with Alex and your gym, but I'm so freaking sorry Izzy. Hurting you was the one thing I never wanted to do, you mean so much to me."

Turning his head to look at me, he allowed me to see the sincerity and the emotion in his eyes as he continued.

"When I came out of prison I was so freaking lost. I had no clue what I was going to do when I realised the life I knew was completely gone. But then I met you and you just became my everything. I was so freaking scared to tell you. I went back and forth for weeks trying to get the courage to do it. I screwed up, Isadora, and when I lost you I just...crashed."