(15) - Fights and Family

Trailer by VRPond

THiRD PERSON POiNT OF ViEW

Tony and Steve are both chopping wood and they seem to be 'racing'. Tony looks to his right and sees Nadia sitting with Clint's little girl, he smiles to himself. "What are you smiling about?" Steve asks and Stark just nods his head in Nadia's direction.

"She ain't too bad is she?" Stark asks out loud, he's asking himself more than Rogers.

"No, you were right."

Tony drops the ax, "Wait what was that?" Steve laughs and shakes his head. "Did Thor say where he was going?" Tony asks Steve.

"Sometimes my teammates don't tell me things. I was kind of hoping Thor would be the exception." Steve shrugs and chops another piece of wood in half in one hit.

"Just give him time, we will never know what that girl showed him," Stark suggests and Steve kind of chuckles.

"We are supposed to be 'Earth's mightiest heroes' and they picked us apart like cotton candy." Steve sounds more scared than angry as he pulls a piece of wood apart with his hands.

"You seem okay," Tony replies then hits another block, and Rogers shrugs.

"Is that a problem?" Tony thinks before answering.

"I don't trust a guy without a dark side. Call me old fashioned." Rogers chuckles deeply,

"Yea...you...haven't seen it yet, that's all." Steve answers and he hits the wood again, his pile significantly larger than Tony's.

NADiA'S POiNT OF ViEW

"Ultron took you folks out of play to buy himself time. My contacts all say he's building something. The amount of Vibranium he made off with, I don't think it's just one thing." Nick Fury is in front of me.

The Avenger's maker, the father.

His eye lands on me, "Nadia Oakley, took Stark long enough to pull you in."

I raise a brow, "Wait you knew about me?" He chuckles sarcastically, his hand on the chair in front of him tightening in grip.

"Knew about you? More like got you where you are." Confusion covers my face before I mask it will indifference.

"Wha... what do you mean?" I whisper, he laughs at me and my fists clench. "What do you mean!?" I slam my hand on the table before the room falls silent, all eyes on me. "I gotta take a walk." Steve nods at me as I try not to stomp on my way out the door.

What did Fury mean by 'got you where you are.' I bite my finger as the anger courses through me like my blood. Fast and thick. I don't even know why I'm so mad as my fist crashes with the tree before I intend it to, instead of it just hurting; my fist leaves a dent.

My hand only stings, no actual pain as I punch again and again and again. Until the tree falls, my breathing is ragged as I stand over the fallen tree. It wasn't that big of a tree, maybe ten inches in diameter but I have never felt this angry before.

Nor had that much power. I stare at my bloody fists as I hear the gravel crunch. My bright eyes meet blue ones in the dark, her lower lip is in a pout and her blue eyes are watery. "Lil-" She runs away before I can say anything.

I just sit next to the stump and don't even attempt to stop the girl from running from me. Everyone does, nobody is forever... everyone leaves me. My own parents even left me. My adoptive dad left... aunt Carol left ...everyone keeps leaving me.

NADiA'S POiNT OF ViEW - HALF AN HOUR LATER

I walk back into the kitchen and Natasha gives me a sad smile. I stare at the crack in the table and bite my lip. How did I do that? They all ignore my red eyes and fists. I'm thankful for that, I don't need them questioning me right now. Someone might end up like that tree stump...

"If Ultron is really building a body..." Steve doesn't need to finish his sentence, we all know something bad will happen.

"He'll be more powerful than any of us. Maybe all of us. An android designed by a robot." Tony adds and it does nothing to calm our nerves.

"I miss the days when I was the weirdest thing science created," Rogers mumbles to himself and I must agree. "I will drop Banner at the tower, could I borrow Ms. Hill?" Tony shrugs, "She's all yours, what are you gonna do Fury?" Stark asks and Nick returns a shrug of his own.

"I don't know. Something dramatic, I hope." I narrow my eyes at him, he never did tell me what he meant.

"Auto-bots roll out," I mumble under my breath. I see Lila peeking at me from behind her dad. I give her a weak smile, she kind of returns it.

I stand up to leave the house but arms around my waist stop me. "Bye, auntie Ad." This brings a smile to my lips as I kiss the top of her head.

"Don't give your mom too much trouble and I promise to teach you some bow tricks if I come back again." She nods eagerly. I walk down the porch and outside, taking a deep breath.

"It's hard to get her to like people, I hope you know that... she's picky." Natasha bumps her shoulder against mine, I nod and stare at my hands. "What happened?" I bit my lip.

"I got in a fight with a tree." She chuckles and wraps an arm around my shoulder.

"Let's get you clean-" I know what she's looking at, it's the fallen tree. "How the...?"

I shrug, I don't even know, "I just got so...furious." I feel the heat again, Fury hit a soft spot and I hate how vulnerable I feel right now.

"Yea, Fury does that to a lot of people." I sit down in the Quin Jet and stare at my bloodied hands. I don't want to wash it off; if I do...then I didn't just let my emotions get the best of me.

"Oakley," I snap my eyes to meet his, my glasses are in my bag so my bright eyes are even brighter than usual.

"Fury," I say in the same tone and stand up. "What did you mean?" My voice is as menacing as I can get without sounding whiny.

"I meant that your dad-"

I glare at him, "He isn't my dad." Nick rolls his eyes and shakes his head.

"This is a discussion for another time and a whole other person, Nadia." I shake my head no.

"I want to hear it. Now!" I know I am being childish but I can't stand being in the dark, even if it's where I've been my entire life.

"No." He walks away and I refrain from following him. The burner phone rings and I wonder how it still has battery power.

"Hey kiddo," I smile with watery eyes.

"Aunt Care?" My voice is almost unintelligible as I slide onto the floor of the jet, ignoring the world around me. All that mattered was that my aunt who I haven't heard from in almost two years was on the other line.

"I can't talk for long but I have heard a lot about you lately." I laugh in pure delight.

"I missed you so much," I can feel the hot tears running down my cheeks. "And so much has happened-"

"Only good, I hope." I nod into the phone.

"I'm pretty much an Avenger!" Her smile dropped, I know it.

"What? Nadia...no, that's too dangerous." I know this, I am well aware.

"I feel like I'm needed for once. Not like some weird freak, I feel wanted." I laugh again, this time more manically.

"I know, I know, but please; plea-" The call ends and I stare at the phone stupidly.

"Aunt Carol?!"