(31) - Blackness and Blabbing

NADiA'S POiNT OF ViEW

We were off, leaving the Starbucks behind as Natasha led the way. "The first rule of going on the run is, don't run, walk." Steve scoffs at Nat as I trail behind them.

"If I run in these shoes, they're gonna fall off." Steve mumbles. It would be too obvious for me to walk beside them since two adults and one kid would be easy to spot.

"You guys go ahead, I need to do something."

Nat nods, "Nine minutes." I agree and begin to walk like I knew where I was going. I go up the escalator with my hood up. I can do this in nine minutes, definitely... I grab a box of black dye and slip it in my bag discreetly. As I see a woman begin leaving the shop and slip something in her pocket.

Just as I suspected the alarm goes off and I leave as the clerk is checking the woman's bag.

I turn the corner for the bathrooms and lock the door with magic. Five minutes... I hold the box dye in my hands and imagine it being transferred onto my hair. Imagine my brown locks turning onyx black and watch the color leak from my roots. In seconds my hair is black as night. I put a simple illusion on myself.

Making my eyes brown and my skin extremely pale. That's good enough. It won't last long, but long enough. The door opens and I act like I'm drying my hands as the black dye sits in the trash. I send a small smile to the lady and walk briskly out of the bathroom. "One minute," I mumble to myself as Steve and Natasha locking lips meet my eyes... well, isn't that a sight to see.

Nat nods at me and I begin walking toward the door.

LATER NADiA'S POiNT OF ViEW

"So while in Asgard you learned magic?" Steve asks from the driver seat.

I chew on a dot and nod, "Yea. That's how I changed my hair color, the other things are normal again because that would take a lot of energy to keep up." I explain and stare at a strand of my now dark hair.

"Now, I got a question, where the hell did you learn to steal a car?" I question a bit loudly.

"Language..."

Natasha playfully scolds and Steve groans, "Come on...just let it go." He mumbles but the hint of a smile is playing on his lips.

"So... how did this all happen anyway?" I shove a couple more dots in my mouth and chew with my lips closed.

I missed these things. "We don't know much now but Fury is dead." My mouth falls open, how did they manage to kill him? I never even got to talk to him about my heritage. Since he seemed to know oh so much, okay that's rude... he's dead... that's so weird.

"Wait what?" I snap out of my thoughts and Natasha explains what they know.

"So it was good that I throat punched Rumlow? And kneed his crotch?" She gives me a little fist bump and I smile widely, I'm glad Nat likes me...

"I learned to steal a car in Nazi Germany," Steve says this with entire seriousness and it reminds me how old he is.

"Jesus." His eyes snap up to mine in the mirror. Nat stifles a laugh.

"Take your feet off the dash," He brushes the dust from Natasha's shoes from the dash as she moves her feet to the floor.

"Alright, I have a question for you, oh, which you do not have to answer. I feel like if you don't answer it though, you're kind of answering it, you know?" I lean back into the seat and push my earbuds in.

"Lemme know when we get there, I'm taking a nap," I announce and turn on some lo-fi to sleep to.

THiRD PERSON ViEW

"Was that your first kiss since 1945?" Natasha asks with an eyebrow raised, Steve turns to look at her and chuckles.

"That bad, huh?"

Nat shrugs, "Didn't say that..." She stares out the window as Steve shakes his head, not believing the widow.

"Sounds like that's what you're saying." He scolds a bit playfully and Nat shakes her head.

"No, I didn't. I just wondered how much practice you've had."

He scratches his head, "You don't really need practice," Steve justifies and the Widow doesn't agree.

"Everybody does, even Nadia back there." Steve narrows his eyes at Natasha.

"She's a kid and no if you need to know so badly. That was not my first kiss since 1945. I am ninety-five, not dead." His tone is sarcastic but Natasha pushes on.

"Nobody special, though?" Steve chuckles again.

"In case you didn't know, it's hard to find people with shared life experiences. At least alive ones..." Natasha nods.

"So what? That's why you fake it." His scoff is dry and he shakes his head.

"Like you do?" She shrugs and bites her lip before answering.

"I don't know. The truth is a matter of circumstances, it's not all things to all people all the time. And neither am I." She answers truthfully and Steve shakes his head.

"Doesn't sound like a good way to live," His tone is somber but Natasha ignores it and with a smile says.

"Hell of a way to die though." Steve just shakes his head and in the mirror sees the sleeping Nadia.

"I wonder how she is after coming back to this..." Natasha turns in her seat to look at the girl.

She brushes a dark strand away from her face, "She knows far too much about a world she shouldn't even know exists. But she handles it, better than I ever did... she's such a good person. But I fear all this will take a toll on her, Nadia doesn't know the extent of our world yet..." Nadia leaned into Natasha's hand and the woman smiles, Steve sees it in the mirror and a small smile is on his face.

"I was wrong to say we shouldn't bring her in. Especially with her powers, if she was living the life of regular girl so many people could have gotten hurt... at least now we can figure out what the hell she's got going on and possibly contain it." Steve admits and Natasha keeps her hand on the girl's cheek.

"We can't treat her like a weapon or threat. That's how monsters are made, Clint pulled me out before I lost my sense of individuality. She's always had her's all alone... I see myself in her, minus the purple bits." Natasha ends on a less somber note and pulls her hand away slowly.

Nadia mumbles something about Loki in her sleep and stretches across the backseats even more. "Loki is a pompous asshole with–" Nadia yawns, "–impeccable taste in jewelry." Neither Steve nor Natasha knew what Nadia was referring to, or how she knew Loki.

"How does she?"

Steve shrugs, "Let's ask her when she's awake..."