Smart Decisions

POV: Hayley 

It's been almost thirteen days since I left Donato's house. As he promised, no one has bothered me. I didn't get any unwanted attention. Though something still feels weird. when I came back home, some new people moved into the apartment next to mine. I always feel like they are watching us.

When I explained to Jewel why I had those imprints on my neck, she didn't believe me. She didn't believe that the mafia actually exists. I had to tell her, she was about to call the cops.  

Finally, I don't find it hard to fit in this 'normal' world anymore. I got a job interview today. How bad can an office job be? I'm still keeping an eye on Jewel, hopefully, she will eventually digest everything I told.

POV: Jewel

Since Hayley told me about what happened in the past few days, it has been hard for me to focus on anything else. She keeps telling me that everything is fine, but I still find it hard to trust her words. I don't understand how she is so okay with this mafia shit.

I'm about to leave for work. I went downstairs to see where she was, she was in the kitchen, cooking a meal.

"Hayls, I'm off to work."

"Hey, I want to ask for a spare key. I'll also leave for my interview in a few hours."

"Of course.." I took out a spare key and handed it to her.

"Thank you, have a nice day."

"You too."

POV: Donato

It's just a mess now. How the fuck is this possible?! I am supposed to know everything that happens in this motherfucking city, and my fucking men can't kill, Thomas, a gang leader, who has been fucking with my money and shipments!

I'm on my way to meet Ezio at the warehouse. He is waiting for me at my warehouse, where I'll show him the territory. If one more shipment goes missing, I swear to God I'll lose my connections with overseas leaders.

I stepped out of the car and went to the warehouse's main room, where Ezio is mostly found. Where I entered the room, Ezio was looking through some papers, blueprints.

"What are you looking at, old man?"

"This old man has figured out why three of your men got killed while entering Thomas's territory."

"That is exactly what I don't understand, Zio. How did they get detected when I sent them through underground tunnels."

"Come here, see this."

I went towards him and saw the point he highlighted in that blueprint.

"Why is the southern tunnel disconnected? What is this, Zio?"

"I had someone get me the latest print of the tunnel system. Seems like, the tunnel which leads to his territory, south of Monticello. It has been disconnected from the whole system. That's why that gang can take control of it."

"And we sent our men straight into their mouth."

"See a pattern, Donato. We have all of our men marked with a Serpent tattoo on their arm. I think they recognize us by that."

"Then what do you suggest I do? I go in?"

"Absolutely not. I had a thought. We can't lose men over a small gang leader."

"What are you trying to say here, Zio?"

"I'm saying that send someone who can kill him and not from our gang. I'm sure by now they know that we are on their backs, they have their defense up. Send someone in, who they are totally unaware of."