Anya

Today is the day I have feared for quite some time. I have finally reached my physical maturity which only means one of two things for the servants on Jotunheim.

I am either to be chosen by a mate, or I shall be sold and continue my life as a servant elsewhere on another realm far from here.

As a frost giant, half breed runt I know that no male on Jotunheim would desire me, so I have long since accepted my fate in a lifetime of servitude.

My father is Lord Surt, loyal to King Laufey until his murder. My mother however, was not born of this realm, she was a prisoner here until my father forced her to do unspeakable things.

My father was disgusted by my mother's pregnancy and every Jotun naturally assumed she would die in childbirth, but by some miracle I was born small and she survived.

As a punishment from King Laufey for his actions, my father was told that we were his responsibility as we were a permanent symbol of his shame for him to bare.

My hair is as black as the night sky and my skin is blue, baring all the typical marking of a frost giant female, but my eyes are somehow blue like my mother's were.

She loved me dearly and made a point of telling me so every single day, in spite of my outward appearance. My father would often come at night and she always kept me hidden to shield me from his violent nature.

One night after he had fallen asleep, I rose from my bed, peaked by curiosity and took the opportunity to look upon the frost giant I knew to be my father.

To one as small as I was he seemed so terrifying, but as I attempted to sneak away he awoke, grabbing me by the arm and looking down upon me as if I were filth.

My mother desperately tried to release me from his grasp while he carried me outside towards the edge of a frozen cliff. After finally losing patience with my mother's desperate pleas for my life, he did as she asked and released my from his grip.

Still enraged at her insolence, he chose to throw my mother from the cliff in my place, knowing that she would no longer be there to protect me.

My father then took me to the palace shortly after murdering my mother and offered me up as a servant to King Laufey himself, which he accepted in order to protect me.

I have been bullied my whole life by the frost giants of this realm, including the other servants simply for being born and the only thing that has kept me sane is the books that I read in secret.

Even King Laufey himself had not the faintest idea that I have read many history books written about other worlds and all the wonders they possess.

Knowing that I am not desired for mating at all has given me a glimmer of hope.

The possibility of perhaps being bought by someone from a far off realm means that I may at least see somewhere that is not covered in ice and snow one day.

Anywhere must be better than this realm.