Chapter 23

Harry's P.O.V:

Night Terrors: Episodes of screaming, intense fear, and flailing while still asleep, often paired with sleepwalking.

They sucked.

I've been having them since I was around 12 years old, but they've become less common since then. When I stopped relying on my family for everything and got a life of my own, they seemed to die down a little bit, but I still experienced them every so often. Ever since I've been with Bella, I don't think I've experienced them at all, and she doesn't know about them yet.

Well, tonight she found out.

August 21st, 2001

4:36 am

"Harry, baby go upstairs please." My mum said as I was sitting on the couch and watching TV. We have one week off of school for holiday so mum let me stay up and watch cartoons with her.

"Why? We haven't even finished the show yet." I whined, I don't know why her mood changes so fast, I just want to finish this episode and then I'll go to bed.

Dad went out a few hours ago and hasn't been back since, it felt more peaceful at home when he wasn't here.

"He's going to come home anytime soon, please just go upstairs and try to fall asleep." Every time she sent me to my room, I never fell asleep right away. I heard what happened when he got back home, I heard it all and she doesn't know that I know what goes on.

"Is he going to hurt you again?" I ask her, crawling into her arms as she places a kiss on my forehead.

"What?" She acts clueless but I'm a smart kid, I know what happens and I don't want mum to get hurt anymore. She is always so strong for me but I know that she is hurting on the inside.

"I hear it all the time. Why does he do that to you? Why doesn't he do it to me or Gem?" I ask her genuinely, Gemma is asleep right now, she said she was tired and didn't feel like watching cartoons. Maybe it's because she knows what's about to go down, therefore she tries to sleep through it.

"What do you hear, Harry?" She ignores my other questions, rubbing my shoulder as I keep my eyes on the TV.

"I hear the glass that breaks or you screaming and crying. It's dad that does that, isn't it?" I wish I could do something for her, but I can't. I don't want him to hurt me or Gem so I just stay quiet. I usually hum a song to try and help me fall asleep, but it doesn't work. My mum's cries are too painful to sleep through.

Is it my fault?

Maybe if I wasn't born this wouldn't happen. I don't get it though, he was so nice to us before, why does he act like this now?

He used to love my mum so dearly, he would take us to go fishing at the pond near our house, or he'd take us to the corner shop and let us buy all the sweets we wanted.

Sometimes I wish I could just disappear. I don't want to die, but I just wish the world was my own little bubble for once. By little bubble, I mean a world where Gem, mum and I lived peacefully in a small townhouse. It would have four bedrooms and two bathrooms, one extra bedroom mum could use as her art studio. I had always planned out this alternate world in my head, it helped me escape reality for the days I felt like disappearing.

I hear a knock on the door as my mum looks at me in fear, "Harry go upstairs right now." She whispers.

"I love you." She kisses my cheek, "I love you too, Harry. Always." I follow her orders, tippy-toeing up the stairs but staying outside the door of my bedroom.