Chapter 32

Harry's P.O.V:

"She's being pulled into emergency surgery right now, an exploratory laparotomy."

I feel my heart drop at her words, keeping my head down as I rub the nape of my neck. I don't know what to say to her, it's too much to process all at once. I started the day taking off from work so I could surprise her with something, I wanted to show her that we could still make time for each other even with everything else that's going on.

"There's... more. Let's take a look at your scans and get you admitted," even with my head down and my attention at the ground, I still heard the smile within her voice.

I know she was just trying to reassure me but I don't feel any sense of relief. I don't know whether I should be sad, angry, or both. I just feel scared.

"I don't get it," I mutter, exhaling a deep breath before looking up again.

She's in there getting her whole belly cut open, completely exposed and vulnerable. As if that wasn't enough, there was more. I didn't want to hear it, I don't know if it's wrong of me to not want to listen but I don't want to hear any of it. If I don't know about it, I can pretend that it isn't happening.

"What do you mean there's more?" I breathe out, getting back in the wheelchair and off of the CT table. I feel her put her hand over mine, "Listen H, I know this is hard for you, but you can always talk to me. I understand how you're feeling right now, when my wife had a brain tumor with our girl, I felt so... useless. Sitting there in that waiting room, counting the minutes while they operated on her. I was scared for her, for our daughter. I had you to talk me through it though, you helped pass the time even when you had boards to study for. Let me be the person you were for me." Her voice is sincere as she wheels me across the hospital, keeping her hand on top of mine as I huff out a breath.

That was such a scary time, hearing that one of my closest friends had a brain tumor whilst being pregnant.

"Now my Valentina is the healthiest she's ever been and we have such a beautiful daughter. I know Isabella will pull through, she's strong, she's a fighter," she says softly, rubbing my hand in a reassuring manner.

"Why can't I just have one good thing? In my first actual committed relationship, my girlfriend cheated on me. My second one after years might be dying. I really want us to work, I can see a future with her. Can't I just have one thing right?" I sigh, feeling the elevator travel up as we reach the east wing of the hospital.

"You deserve better Harry, god I'd kill for someone like you if I wasn't into pussy," she says, trying to lighten up the mood.

I breathe out a laugh, watching the elevator doors open, "I know you, you're strong, you're one of the strongest people I've ever met. You still have your whole life ahead of you. I'm not going to lie to you and say that the rest of your life is gonna be sunshine and rainbows because it's not. And that's reality. She is the one for you, and if you truly believe that, you're going to have to keep fighting for her no matter what. She's in there fighting for herself right now so when she's done, she's going to need to have your support as well. You two will overcome this, if anything I think it will make your relationship stronger. You're going to have to keep pushing through, do it for Bella," she whispers loud enough for me to hear as we rummage through the halls, looking for my room.

"I wanna say I'll try but I don't know if I can anymore. I should have died when I did," I mumble the last part, Ashley stopping in her tracks.

"You died twice, yet you're here, still breathing. I know you don't really believe in God or anything but don't you think that's a sign? You could have died but you didn't, twice! You were given not one, but two chances at life again. There are good things in store for you, give it some time," She opens the door to my room, wheeling me in.