Chapter 26 - Your Boss

Charlotte's POV
I knew running my own company would be hard and stressful. It has been from the beginning but now at the end of November and the run up to Christmas in full swing, everything and everywhere is chaos. We had been trying to publish as many books as possible for the Christmas rush, having book launches at least three times a week since early November. We certainly had good and bad days between the core team of six, but I knew sooner or later we would start having more better than bad.

"We're on track," Eloise exclaimed as she sat down in the meeting room where Lordane and I were waiting for our usual Wednesday board meeting. "With what exactly?" I replied curious as to which of our many plans was in fact going as planned. "The printers have completed the pre order of prints for this and next week plus extras, and Thomas has chapters for a second book which should arrive tomorrow for you." I sat there taking everything in, after months of either being behind or running about like crazy everything seemed to be falling into place.

"Is this actually working?" Lordane almost shouted, "I think it is." I smiled a proper smile for the first time in a while. "We need to celebrate," Eloise cheered, only to cause me to shake my head. "We will, once we've got through the Christmas rush. I promise," I announced before we properly started our meeting.

"The last thing we need to discuss is staff," I said, both of them looked confused so I continued. "I know we've only operating for just over 3 months but now it's clear we have a system that works, and I don't want us all to become over worked."

"Exactly it works." Eloise sighed, "I know but it's just an idea more for the future." I replied, hoping that they would agree and could see where I was coming from, but they didn't. I stood up and gathered my paperwork, "Look, I've not even discussed it with GEH yet I just wanted to be honest with you." And with that I walked out, trying to hide my annoyance from them as well as my confusion. I thought I was doing the right thing but if my friends and board members didn't agree with me then what would others think.

I didn't want to stay at the office for long after we'd finished, so I grabbed the gym bag that I kept in my office and headed to the gym to try and work out the grump I had found myself in.

But even as I ran on the treadmill, rowed on the rowing machine, and lifted weights I couldn't figure out what exactly was wrong with me. I thought expanding would be good and that we could deal with the pressure that came with it but maybe I couldn't. It wasn't even like I suddenly came up with idea, I'd been thinking about it for a while and Ros had agreed that we would eventually.

Maybe now wasn't the right time, everything was still new, and Christian's and I's relationship was complicated to say the least. Something had changed with him in the last few weeks, he seemed distracted and even distant at times except in the bedroom. I'm not sure whether it is work related or something I've done but I hoped it was the first.

As I was getting ready to head home my phone rang, it was Christian.

"Hey, are you alright?" I asked when I answered, "Yes I'm OK, it's just that..." His voice became unclear, and I could hear noise in the background. "What Christian?" I sighed becoming annoyed yet again. "I'm not going to be home till late..." I let out a breath and finished his sentence, "Cause you have a meeting and don't need dinner." This was the realisation I was facing being Mr. Grey's girlfriend. "Charlotte don't be like that," he said too calmly down the phone. "I'm fine, I just had a rubbish day and wanted to see you but it's fine you go save the universe." I wasn't even lying when said I wanted to see him. "I'm sorry... look I've got to go, I love you." I sighed replying, "Love you too."

Driving back to the empty penthouse, I was able to begin to gather my emotions and come to the conclusion that I needed to communicate with him, but when I didn't know nor how.