Chapter 39 - Follow the path...

Charlotte's POV
Although Christian promised me that things between us wouldn't change after I told him what had happened, they did. And I was naïve to think that they wouldn't because they did...

Not because he pitied me or didn't want to bring up the subject but through his actions.

I had given him my permission to read my file if he wanted to know everything, but he refused. The old Mr. Grey would have jumped at the opportunity to be in control, but he didn't. I had asked if I could get a tattoo, which he supported, insisting that my rose behind my ear was one of his favourite features on my body. Whether getting a word along the side of my foot was sexy, you'd have to ask him.

The worst part of all though, was that he was busy. Christian Grey was the master of the universe so of course he would be busy, but we used to try and have dinner together or meet up Kate and Elliot. But we weren't.

Whether that was due to him actually being busy or him not wanting to see Kate I hadn't worked out yet.

The following Tuesday, after the Grey children had their intervention with their parents, I received visitors at Escala. I had come home at lunchtime to read the manuscripts I'd left on my bedside table when Sawyer knocked on the TV room door informing me that Dr and Mr. Grey were on their way up.

Their visit, long enough for one cup of tea, consisted of them apologising for jumping the gun and not understanding the context of both Kate & Mia's conversation as well as what Carrick had seen. I did accept their apology, but not with ease, I had been offended when the thought that I was with Christian for drug money first came up. I'd also stressed it was not only me who deserved an apology, not directly saying Christian's name, but enough so they knew that their actions had affected him in a way that needed time to be fixed. Their final words before leaving were inviting me to Bellevue whenever I wanted and that I'd always be welcome.

But so far, neither Christian nor I had returned to his childhood home.

After they left, I finally decided that I needed to call the doctors and book the appointment I promised Christian I'd do months ago. However, I made very little progress on my own. Having only lived in the city for nearly 3 years, I'd yet to actually find myself a doctor and still didn't really understand the American healthcare system.

Changing my tactic, I went in search of Mrs. Jones.

"Mrs. Jones," I called after knocking on the door to hers and Taylor's quarters. "Charlotte, how can I help?" She asked when she opened the door with a smile. "I was wondering if you could help me find a doctor," I gently spoke, explaining my situation as we walked back to the great room.

"Did Mr. Grey suggest anyone?" I shook my head, "But I presume he'll want the best and confidentiality." I smiled at the lady across from me. "I'd recommend looking where Dr. Trevelyan works first," Gail suggested, "Northwest Hospital." I nodded in agreement.

Gail made light work of finding out who the best OBGYN was in the hospital, as well as the state so I was assured I'd be in safe hands.

"Would you like me to book an appointment?" Gail asked, clearly noticing my incapability of making a simple phone call. I nodded, "Thank you" and Gail stood squeezing my shoulder gently, "Don't worry sweetheart."

She disappeared back to her quarters to make the phone call, just like a mother would do for her own child. Because that's what she was to both Christian and I, a second mother who only had our best interests at heart.

Christian returned not too long after, "You're home earlier than expected." I giggled, pointing to clock that showed it was just before 6. "I wanted to have desert before we ate dinner," he whispered in my ear, pulling me up against his body. I nodded slowly, biting my bottom lip and without hesitation he had me over his shoulder.