Chapter 2 - Centre Stage

Charlotte's POV
"This is it," I smiled as we entered the rather dull looking building. "Are you sure, it looks like a shithole." Kate joked, but she was right except this place was quite the opposite once inside. "Be nice," I reminded her with a gentle slap on the shoulders before pushing the door open.

We made our way through the building to the large event space we'd hired out. Where we were quickly greeted by a waiter offering wine. "Well if they offer wine, I will come to all of these things with you." Kate joked while the gentleman disappeared to grab us to glasses which we kindly accepted.

Kate eagerly thanked him before he moved on to the next guests as she went to take a sip but I stopped her. Snatching the glasses from her hand she cried out, "For fucks sake I was going to drink that." But I rolled my eyes unfazed by her reaction and quickly tried to find somewhere to place our unwanted wines.

"The wine is cheap and shit," I whispered in return before spotting a plant pot to disperse of the contents. Kate continued to huff which acted as a distraction as I poured both glasses into the pot hoping nothing would happen to it.

"Right, let's get some real stuff from the bar. I think its in the next room," I continued with Kate nodding and following behind me. "Where's the eye candy?" Kate laughed once we'd reached the safety of the bar having surveyed the room and guests.

"No clue, let's hope they arrive soon." I sighed in return before ordering two glasses of red from the not too ugly barman who I would definitely consider if no one else arrives. Kate was going on about how I know best when it comes to these things because I go to them all the time and know the tricks on how to make them less expensive but then she stopped.

Her phone was ringing, Elliot's name flashed across the screen and she muttered a quick sorry before vanishing outside to find somewhere quiet. I knew at that moment how serious their relationship had become because with most guys they wouldn't even get the number, let alone a chance to ring her and have her answer.

So I was felt alone, snacking on the olives left on the side, but not for very long when I was tapped on the shoulder. The person or man who tapped me, was wearing a suit and jacket without a tie giving off the impression he'd just finished his shift in an office job especially with his neat brown hair.

Sitting confidently on the stool beside me, he chucked softly so no one around us could hear. "I think that plant is going to die." Immediately I decided to play the innocent card not wanting to be asked to leave before the fun. "I'm sorry you've lost me," I smiled in return before eating another olive.

"That plant over there," he pointed with his chin and I had to resist the urge to blush. "You poured your own and friends glass of wine into to it," I shrugged trying to play it off cool. "I tipped mine in there as well earlier," I breathed a sigh of relief, "but I didn't get caught unlike you." He innocently finished as my new wines were placed in front of me.

"Well, I wasn't planning on getting caught..." I went to say his name but didn't know it, "Thomas and don't worry I wont tell anyone else." He added when he answered my unasked question before pointing behind me to where Kate was rushing in my direction. "Elliot's brother cancelled on him last minute, something about forgetting he had an event to go to," She began to rapidly explain hardly pausing to breathe. "So he is a bit upset about it all..." I laughed, "Go and comfort him, I know this isn't your scene so just go."

She smiled brightly, not even trying to hide her relief. "I can handle myself here, this is my thing, you go do yours."

Before I'd finished, she was kissing me on the cheek and vanishing again not even giving me a chance to remind her to use protection.