Chapter 4 - Mystery Man

Christian's POV
Seattle's sky was its usual grey covered in clouds that gave the impression it was going to rain. The full height windows in my office provided me a panoramic view of the city I have called home for as long as I could talk.

My ringing phone interrupted my working flow, seeing my brother's name flash across the screen, I knew it was regarding the message I'd had Andrea leave for him this morning.

Clicking accept, I began talking straight away. "Lelliot no! I can't go to the game tonight."

"But you promised we'd go together, it's been ages since we've hung out or with the rest of the family." I rolled my eyes, "I'm busy, with..." I couldn't finish my own sentence as he did for me, "Work, yes I know, like always."

I groaned, did he not understand how much work was needed to both build and maintain a billion dollar company.

"Well, I'm still going to go, so I will need the box." He demanded with no care in the world. Shaking my head I curtly began, "No, you can't use my box." "But you said we could," he whinged clearly unable to deal with any adult responsibilities.

"Exactly we could, I've been double booked." I replied making him laugh, "How? Andrea makes your life run like clockwork even down to your toilet breaks." Elliot countered which I agreed with, "She was on holiday when this was all arranged." Reminding me to never let her leave me with anyone incompetent again.

"This book launch is for a former employee, so my attendance is necessary, I apologise Lelliot." I explained my situation, "Why don't you just ask your girlfriend to keep you entertained." I quickly added which shut him up, so I was able to hang up.

Did I actually want to attend this book launch this evening? No.

Why? It wasn't because I didn't like Thomas Moore, he was of course older than me like most, but he had always respected me and my work, like I did him. He worked as my COO before I hired my current and hopefully permanent COO, Ros Bailey. Although he hadn't been in that role for nearly 4 years, Mr. Moore had played a key role in helping GEH grow over the first few years so in return for his help, when we expanded into New York I gave him control of that branch.

He had done extremely well running it until he stepped away into an advisory role last year so he could write this book. But I knew that if this was a success, he would leave for good and become an author, wasting all of his talent in my world.

Ros appeared at my door, "You ready?" I nodded leading the way to the meeting room where we were meeting with a major hotel brand, I was wanting to acquire which make travelling easier.

I checked my watch as I walked out of the meeting room knowing I was already late, and then met Taylor in the lobby before heading out. Removing my suit tie and undoing a few buttons, I mentally prepared myself for an evening of socialisation and boredom.

When I arrived, I was later than acceptable seeing as Moore was already on stage talking what sounded like utter bullshit while also answering questions from stupid members of the audience.

Why did I agree to come?

As he finished, he began making the rounds as did I, moving around the room greeting most who knew who I was, which was mostly business people in ore of me. Small talk is tedious, especially when most here are praising him when it was in fact me who gifted him the platform he used in his book. I was the person who funded his move to New York with his family. I'm the one who lost a partner in my company.

And I'm the one who is being ignored at the event he invited me too.

I decided to do another lap around the room, then speak to Thomas before I made an excuse to leave early, like I usually did at most social events. Once done walking around the room with my now empty glass of cheap wine I still hadn't managed to speak to Thomas alone, not wanting to have a conversation with an audience, I changed my tactic heading for the bar.