Chapter 42 - Misunderstanding

Charlotte's POV
As usual when I turned up at my old apartment the front door was unlocked, "Kate you home?" I called out to what I assumed to be an empty room but found Kate with her headphones in, typing away.

"Do you ever learn?" I asked, pulling out her headphones. "This flat was broken into by someone with a gun because you don't lock the door." She shook her head, "Don't remind me, that was so scary." I quickly grabbed a cushion throwing it at her head, "You weren't even here, I was."

"You're right, like usual." I smiled before moving into my old room to pack away the rest of my stuff.

Just as I was about finished my first box, Kate came through under the precent of helping but had only brought a bottle of wine through. "Are you going to help?" I laughed grabbing the full glass, she shrugged "Maybe after I've drunk this." I shook my head, "It's like you don't want to get rid of me."

"You were a good roommate," she laughed sitting in the chair. "But now you are getting married Twell," Kate almost screamed making me laugh. "It's crazy and I know its quick..." "You're joking right," she snorted "He's been ready for months maybe even since he met you but waited." I was shocked and confused, stopping my packing immediately.

"What do you mean Kate?"

"Christian has had the ring for months C," she said as if it was common knowledge. "He went and spoke to El in Aspen, but he said he'd had it for months even before then."

"Kate, I don't understand," I whispered trying to comprehend how I didn't realise.

"Talk to your fiancé Lots."

I quickly finished my glass of wine then I chucked an empty box Kate, "Can you do the bookshelf please." She nodded moving into the main living area, "Everything?" I laughed at her cluelessness, "Keep anything you like." I replied knowing Christian already had a fully stocked library at Escala, but you can never have too many books.

We continued making small talk while we packed, mainly about her and Elliot. I'm proud of Kate finally getting over her fears about living with him but I could tell she wasn't enjoying some aspects.

"He doesn't do laundry, he just leaves it there for me." I hummed in agreement as she continued, "Like I get he does all the cooking, but he could at least separate it." I laughed at the thought of Kate touching his manky socks. "Buy one of those laundry baskets with the sections for valentines day." I suggested closing my final box waiting for a reply, "Kate?" I said again checking she was still there, but there was only silence.

I walked around the maze of boxes on the floor and into the living room expecting to find her packing books, but she wasn't. Stood in the middle of the room, holding a manilla envelope was Kate.

The envelope I thought I had lost or binned.

"What is this?" Kate asked quietly, I could see her eyes were filling with tears. "I can explain, Kate." I whispered quietly, taking a step closer.

"Yeah, you should've 10 fucking months ago." Kate shouted letting the tears fall. I was shocked, Kate rarely cries. "That was shown to me in June, but I never signed it," I exclaimed as she waved the contract in the air. "Cause that makes such a difference, huh Charlotte."

"Kate, just give it to me please. It's just some redundant paperwork." I said as calmly as I could hoping she wouldn't read further into it, but I hoped wrong. Kate stood in front of me as she began to skim read every page. I tried to stop her, begging her for her own sanity not to continue but she just ignored me.

"Kate, it's not what you think." I said quietly, as I had more tears streaming down my face than she did now. "What I think, is that my best friend has been being controlled by my boyfriend's brother."