Part 34- Present Day

I kept my promise to myself over the next year. I stayed focused on my career- it seemed like that took over my life. My following for my hair account on Instagram grew to almost 100k. People were booking me just from that- and it made my schedule very busy.
I felt like I was finally moved on from Noelle- pretty much. Did she still linger on my mind? Of course. The only thing I had seen of her was one photo. Someone- my guess was Elena- took a picture of her at bar. She was just holding a glass of beer and smiling. And she looked good. But I couldn't let myself go there. Not anymore. She was married. I had to let it go.
I didn't date anyone. After Allie, and then hooking up with Gabriel and ending my pregnancy- I had legitimately no interest. And I was okay with that. I still lived with Olivia- and Priya graduated college and wound up getting engaged to Raj. I was going to be in her bridal party, and I was also going to do the hair for everyone. Her wedding was going to be in November- while she was in Pharmacy school. She decided against medical school and went for pharmacy instead- to her parents dismay.
A year had come and gone -I turned 22- and I also thought about how Noelle had graduated by now with her engineering degree. I wondered where she was working. How she was. But once again, not for me to wonder about.
I was at work on a Friday at the end of June. It was a normal day, I had just gotten done doing blonde highlights off a girl who had found me off Instagram- she was 16 and wanted a bright look for the summer. It was still surreal to me that people were finding me from my Instagram- liking my work- and making appointments with me. I felt really lucky to have this as my career. Sure, I had some bitchy, pretentious women come in- but most of my clientele were younger women in their teens and 20's.
I was in the back room eating some soup on my break when my boss, Tessa, came in.
"Hey, I'm so sorry to bother you. There's someone at the front- she looks around your age- she wants to make an appointment with you. Specifically you. She said she's seen your work on Instagram and was really impressed by it." Tessa was the best boss I could ask for. She was understanding, funny, and always had our backs no matter what. She was short- around 4'11- and she had long bright red hair. If I thought I was good at hair- I was nothing compared to Tessa. Honestly, I felt like she deserved the appointments, not me. But she had a very loyal client base.
"Oh, of course. I'll be out in one second." I said, "Thanks, Tess."
"She's really cute too. Looks like she could be your type." Tessa smiled and then gave me a playful wink. Though Tessa is married to a man, she is pansexual and always recognizes when a woman is attractive as well.
I've had a couple people come in to the store to make an appointment with me. Usually they call or it's over messaging, but I've had a few actually come in.
I smiled to myself thinking about how Tessa said the girl was cute. That was nice- but I wasn't interested. I looked in the mirror really quick before heading out. I was in my all black attire- I had just added some extensions into my blonde hair for thickness, and had also just gotten my eyelash extensions done as well. I hoped to make a good impression.
I walked out from the break room and into the salon. The salon that had a modern feel, but touched of pink, purple, and blue throughout. It was like a modem unicorn fantasy land.
As I walked up to the front desk, I looked at who my possible client was going to be. And when I saw who it was standing there...I stopped in my tracks. Literally stood there in the middle of the salon, unable to move my feet.
She stood there at the front in a black t-shirt, black workout shorts, and a hat. She looked casual, but gorgeous...as usual. Her dirty blonde hair had gotten highlighted from the sun- as it always did. And she had on her glasses. She was tapping her right foot and looking around. And when we locked eyes- it was like the whole world stopped around me. Anything could've happened in that moment, and yet the only thing I would've focused on was her.
Noelle.
Okay, Harley. Use your feet. Walk. Walk toward her.
And then I reached the desk. My heart was racing. My mouth had gone dry. I couldn't quite believe she was standing here. After years had gone by- and so much had happened- she was standing here in front of me.
"Harley. Hi." she said, and walked up to the desk, giving me a small smile.
I felt a sense of happiness I hadn't feel in years. A long damn time. But then I remembered.
She's married.
"You wanted to book an appointment with me?" I don't know why that came out of my mouth like she was any other person. But it did. And I immediately felt bad as I saw her expression slightly drop.
"Yes. I did. I've seen your Instagram...there's no one else I want to do my hair." she said, looking me straight in the eyes.
"Thank you." I said, looking right back at her. "Um, what did you want to do with your hair?" I didn't know how the fuck to even act at this point. How to talk like a normal person.
"I was thinking of going darker. Like a nice chocolate brown or something. I'm starting a new job in Philly and I want a new look. Something professional." Noelle said.
In Philly?
"You're going to be working in Philly?"
"Yeah. I got a job at a company here...I just moved back a week ago."
She was a stranger now.
"Oh wow...congrats." I said. I was in a complete daze.
"So...can I book an appointment with you?"
"Oh. Yeah. Of course." I said, "But if I could make a suggestion...I think a chocolate brown might be a little dark. How about a really nice, rich chestnut shade?"
Noelle looked at me for a moment. "You're really good at this, aren't you?"
"You're the one that came here from my Instagram."
"Come on . Yes, you're extremely talented. But I didn't just come here because of your Instagram." Noelle said.
What?
"Could you come in on next Friday? I have a 2 PM open for an all over color." I said.
"Sounds great. I don't start my job until that Tuesday."
"I'll see you then." I said.
"I'll see you then, Harley." Noelle said.
Was this real life?