Part 39- Present Day

The day of the engagement party rolled around. Noelle said she would pick me up and then we would go to Priya's parents house where the party was being held. While this wasn't an actual date, it sure felt like one.
I was sitting in front of my vanity, in my red dress, about to curl my hair when Olivia came in my room.
"Let me do your hair." Olivia said.
"You know I can do it myself. I'm kind of skilled in that." I joked.
"Shut up and hand me your curling iron. Let me pamper you." Olivia laughed.
She curled my hair for a bit and then said, "I need to tell you something."
"Are you and Josh moving in together?" I asked her.
She paused. "Yes. We will be. But it's going to have to be in the next 9 months."
I turned around and looked at her. "Next 9 months? Are you telling me what I think you're telling me?"
She smiled and nodded. "Yes. I'm pregnant."
I stood up and hugged Olivia. "Congratulations! I'm so happy for you! I can't wait to be Aunt Harley."
Olivia teared up as I hugged her. "Thank you babe."
I sat back down, "How far along are you?"
"8 weeks. Only Josh and you know."
"When did you take the pregnancy test? I'm so surprised you held it in for this long!" I said.
"2 weeks ago." Olivia said, "And I wanted to tell you the second I was late. But...god- Harley, don't take this the wrong way. I was worried you would be upset or something. Since I know how you get upset since you ended your pregnancy."
I sighed, "This is your pregnancy. Has nothing to do with mine. I am beyond happy for you."
"Thank you. I appreciate it so much." Olivia smiled.
I finished getting ready, and Noelle came by in her BMW.
"Bitch has a beemer?" Olivia looked at me surprised.
"It still seems so unlike her. I'm going to ask her about it one day." I said.
Noelle was waiting for me outside her car. She eyed me up as I walked toward her in my red dress.
"You look beautiful." she said to me, "Let's head out."
Having her tell me I looked beautiful again was a great feeling.
I asked her about her car when we drove.
"Noelle- I hope you don't mind me asking. How and why do you have this car? It's very-"
"Unlike me? Flashy?" Noelle said, "I know. My mom...she left me a lot of money. No idea why. But she did. And I kind of just blew it- not all of it- but a lot of it on crazy things. This being one of them."
We pulled up to Priya's parents house. Mr. and Mrs. Singh have quite the home- considering he is a top Nephrologist and Priya is their only child.
They greeted me with a hug at the door.
"Harley! It is so good to see you!" Mrs. Singh said, "You look gorgeous. Thank you for coming."
"It's so good to see you." I said to her.
She turned to Noelle, "Is this your girlfriend?"
Noelle glanced at me.
"Um- she's my friend." I smiled at Priya's mother.
She gave me a knowing look, "Not for long." she said in a sing-song voice and then laughed. "Come in, girls. Eat. We have so much food."
Priya looked like a traditional Indian bride- and it wasn't even her wedding yet. She looked breath taking. And she greeted Noelle with a big hug.
"You look amazing!" she said to Noelle, "And so does Harley. You look like a goddess. Don't you agree, Noelle?"
I gave Priya a look.
"I completely agree." Noelle looked at me.
The party went on. There was food, drinks, and dancing with Priya's family. Her roommates from college- Gabriella and Ashley- as well as some other friends of hers were there as well.
Priya had told me that her roommate Ashley- who I had met on multiple occasions was bisexual. And I kept seeing her eye up Noelle. And it was a pretty obvious eye up. Ashley was a cute girl- she was curvy with long brown hair that was lighter at the ends. I always liked her- but I didn't at the moment with her eyeing up Noelle. I guess it looked kind of obvious that Noelle was someone who was into women, with her button up and nice dark wash jeans. She looked hot. And I didn't like that I could see Ashley looking at her.
I spent some time with Priya and Raj. Raj was the perfect match for Priya. He had just as much energy as her. He was also an engineer- a biomedical engineer- so him and Noelle wound up talking about engineering.
Gabriella and Ashley came over to us as we talked. I noticed Ashley introduce herself to Noelle a little too enthusiastically for my liking.
She kept on trying to talk to Noelle. She found it so interesting that Noelle went to college in West Virginia- she almost went there- if only she did, maybe they could've met. Noelle was being just as nice back to her- and I couldn't tell if she was going along with Ashley's obvious flirting or not.
Noelle mentioned which neighborhood she lived in- and Gabriella turned to Ashley and said, "Don't you live in that neighborhood?"
"I do! Maybe we could have a girls night sometime." Ashley have Noelle a sly wink. In front of everyone.
What the fuck.
"It's nice to finally meet someone in the neighborhood." Noelle said back, nicely.
But I was fed up. First of all, it looked pretty obvious that I came here with Noelle- which was disrespectful on Ashley's part. And second- but the biggest reason of all- I couldn't stop Ashley from flirting with Noelle. Back when we were together I could have. But what was I supposed to do now? It fucking hurt. I needed a minute- I couldn't hang out for this.
"Excuse me, I just want to get some air." I said, and started to walk away. I went out the front door and walked to Noelle's car. I stood against it- angry. And upset.
I could feel myself tearing up out of frustration.
God, Noelle. I don't want to be your friend.
I was looking down, tears brimming my eyelids, when I heard Noelle's voice say,
"That girl was coming on pretty strong, wasn't she? To be honest, I don't even remember her name."
I looked up at Noelle. She was standing in front of me, looking at me- concerned.
"Is if that obvious thats the reason I came out here?" I asked her.
"To me. And Priya, I'm sure. But don't worry, it didn't cause any kind of scene."
"I- I didn't like that, Noelle. Watching her flirt with you right in front of my face. And I couldn't do anything to stop it."
"Yes, you could have. Or maybe I should've done more to stop her." Noelle said, looking at me.
"Why? You're free to flirt with whoever you want." I said, not meaning those words.
Noelle rolled her eyes. "You don't mean that."
"Why not? We're just friends...right?" I looked at Noelle.
"Harley, we're not friends and you know it." Noelle said, and I noticed she had moved closer to me.
"I know." I looked at her, "This has been killing me on the inside- being just your 'friend'." I said the word "friend" with air quotes.
"So can I kiss you? If it's been killing you like how it's been killing me?" Noelle was looking at me intensely.
"Do you think it's a good idea?" I asked her, my body feeling hot.
"I don't give a fuck right now, Harley." Noelle said, and then before I knew it, her lips were on mine.
Kissing Noelle again- for the first time in years- felt new and exiting yet like coming back home at the same time. I melted into her, feeling the passion between us, the chemistry. I needed more of this. I wanted more of this. I needed her to be mine again. I couldn't just kiss her like this and just have it be a taste. I needed all of her.
Finally, we pulled away.
"Go on a date with me?" I asked her.
"Yes." she said, "I'll go on a date with you."
I was terrified- but I felt as though I needed her more than I felt terrified.
And that was an immense amount.