Part 38- Present Day

"Friends?"
My mom gave me an amused look. I was at her house, having dinner with her and Juan a few days after I met up with Noelle.
"Yes. Friends." I said, and took a bite of pasta.
"You don't expect us to believe that, do you?"
Juan chuckled, and he looked at my mom. She laughed.
"Look, I have no idea what is going to happen. But I know for now we are going to be friends." I said.
"Do you know what you want to happen?" Juan asked me.
"I want to just spend time with her. A lot has happened over these past years. I feel like we touched on the surface of it- but all of those things could have effect on us if we were to potentially start something up again."
"That's what happens when you're apart from someone for a long time. But let me ask you this- do you still love her?" my mom asked me.
"Bold question, mi amour!" Juan said to my mom.
I sighed, "You know the answer. I don't feel ready to say it."
"Understood." my mom smiled.
That week I just kept thinking about Noelle. When was I going to see her again? I didn't want to wait until she needed to touch her hair up. But she also started work this week and I didn't want to bother her.
To my surprise, that Thursday she texted me when I was at work. She asked me what time I got off. I told her Thursday's I got off early at 4- and she asked me if I wanted to grab drinks at a local bar called Jake's. I was going to be meeting her in my work clothes- but I agreed to it.
We were just getting drink. As friends. But right when I saw her sitting at the bar in her button down, work pants, and glasses I could not think of her as just a friend. It was crazy to see her go from being in high school as my girlfriend to now a professional adult- and engineer.
I sat down next to her.
"You look professional." I said.
"Hopefully that's a good thing." she smiled at me, "You look quite professional too."
"It's a good thing- for you." I said, "I'm just in all black."
"Nothing wrong with that." she said, "What can I get you to drink?"
"Oh...I can get my own." I said. I was probably blushing.
"I insist." Noelle said, "What can I get you?"
" A glass of Chardonnay would be wonderful. Thank you." I said, "I've got the next time."
"Deal." Noelle said, and ordered our drinks with the bartender.
"How has your first week of work been?" I asked her.
"Really overwhelming, to be honest. Has me doubting myself every second of each day." Noelle took a sip of her beer.
I hated that she felt that way. And I just wanted to help her. "You know, I felt the same way for a while when I started in the salon. I felt so anxious every day. But then I started to settle in day by day. It will be the same for you. And if that doesn't happen- you find something else. Not the end of the world." I said.
She gave me a small smile, "You always know what to say.
"Well, I know you." I smiled back at her.
"True. Even though a lot of time has passed, I still feel...comfortable with you." Noelle said.
"So do I." I said, and Noelle and I just looked at each other for a moment.
Then her phone rang. She glanced down at it, and pressed the button to ignore it.
"Are you sure you don't have to answer that?" I asked her.
"No. I'd rather not." she said.
"Oh okay." I said, and took a sip of my wine. Then her phone rang again. She ignored it. "Are you sure it's not important?" I asked her.
She shook her head, but then it started ringing again. And I saw the name- it said Elena Felici. I felt my heart sink.
Noelle looked annoyed. She grabbed her phone. "I'll be right back." she said, and wandered to the front.
Why was her ex-wife calling her?
She wasn't gone long. And she looked even more annoyed when she came back.
"Maybe I should go." I said, grabbing my bag.
"What? Why?" Noelle looked at me, "Don't leave."
"I saw who was calling you." I said.
"Elena? Yeah. She's been calling me since I arrived. She claims that I have furniture she needs back. I don't. It's furniture I bought. She's just mad and being petty." Noelle said.
Did I want to deal with that?
"Oh. Um...is she going to keep bothering you?" I asked Noelle.
"I'm about to just send out the stupid ottoman and block her." Noelle said, and then she looked at me. "You look upset."
"I- I don't really know how to feel."
"Harley...I am really sorry." Noelle said. My hand was on the bar, and Noelle put hers on the bar...like she wanted to put her hand on top of mine. It touched mine slightly and I felt a jolt of electricity. She moved it away. "I promise Elena is not an issue."
she said.
I wanted to believe her. I really did. "Okay." I said, "Besides...we are friends. I shouldn't be concerned too much."
I saw Noelle's face slightly drop, but she composed herself. "Yep. Friends." she smiled at me. A forced smile.
God, I wanted her. And I knew she wanted me. I could feel it. But I couldn't break that barrier. Not yet at least. This was fucking tough. What was even stopping us?
Fear. That's what.
Priya wanted me to call her after I got drinks with Noelle.
I told her about it.
I true Priya fashion, she said, "God, just forget about her stupid ex-wife and fuck already."
I couldn't help but laugh. "It's not that easy. I don't even know when I'll see her next."
"I'll make it easy for you. Not this Saturday, but next is my engagement party, as you know. Bring her."Priya said.
"I'm not doing that."
"Brides orders. Call her up. Invite her. Tell her that her old pal Priya wants to see her."
I sighed, "You're not going to let me say no, are you?"
"No, I'm not. Now hang up the phone- and call Noelle."
"Fine. I hate you." I chuckled.
"You love me." Priya laughed, "I expect an answer tonight!"
So I called Noelle. I was nervous to. I was sure she was going to say no.
"Hey, are you okay?" she picked up.
"Yes. So, um....Priya is getting married." I started.
"Is she really? That's unexpected that she would settle down."
"I know. But she found someone great, who matches her energy. Anyway...she wanted to know if you wanted to come to her engagement party next weekend."
She wanted to know? Could I be any more awkward?
"Oh, yeah? Only she wanted to know?" Noelle sounded amused.
"Um, maybe I did too."
"Yeah, of course I'll go." Noelle said, to my surprise.
"It's next Saturday." I said, "Fancy attire."
"Sounds great."
"Are you sure you'll go?" I asked her.
"Of course." she said, "Anything to spend time with you, Harley."
I felt myself get hot at that comment.
"I'll see you next week!" I said, and then hung up.
There's something wrong with you.
One thing was for sure- 
I wanted to fuck up this friendship.