Part 18- High School

I was only in Western Pennsylvania for three nights with Noelle- but it honestly felt like home by the last day. I am not sure if that was because I was with Noelle, and she felt like home, or if it was the slowed down atmosphere. The walks we took under the stars. The cooking we did together.
On our last night we laid in bed together in Noelle's old bedroom.
The whole time we had been here, I had been wanting to mention the possibility of me moving to the area after I finished cosmetology school. I was apprehensive, because I knew it would crush me inside if Noelle didn't like the idea.
"I am so glad we took this trip together." Noelle said, turning over to face me.
"Me too. I'm going to miss it around here."
"Oh, you actually like bumblefuck Pennsylvania?" she laughed.
"Yeah, a lot more than expected. Honestly to the point where...I would move here after cosmetology school." I swallowed.
Noelle raised an eyebrow, "Are you trying to tell me something?"
"I guess so...yeah. I am."
"I think that's a great idea. Then we would only have to be apart for a year...I could move off campus my second year and we could even get an apartment together." Noelle said, and I could see excitement in her eyes.
I was relieved. Beyond relieved.
"I was so nervous to tell you I wanted to do this." I said, with a nervous laugh.
"Why?" Noelle looked at me.
"I was worried you'd say you didn't want to do that. That you just wanted the next four years for yourself."
"If you even think for a second I wouldn't want you near me, you're crazy." Noelle said, and kissed my forehead.
Saying goodbye to Noelle's dad and Mary was sad for me- after 4 days I felt a connection with these people. And I really didn't want it to be the last time I saw them. Noelle was a lot like her dad- he had a calming presence just like her.
We were now on the last leg of our senior year- it was April, after spring break. There wasn't much time left- not that I was sad to graduate high school- I wasn't a big fan of high school. I didn't really make any friends- Priya had been my best friend since middle school. I felt like I spent most of it dating someone and paying attention to that. The only time I didn't mind it was this year, with Noelle.
I barely paid attention in class, especially knowing that I was accepted into cosmetology school. A few weeks after spring break, I had an orientation at the cosmetology school I would be attending. I wanted my mom to go with me- but she was working late that night. So, Noelle volunteered to go with. I asked her if she was sure- knowing she might be bored. But she reassured me she wanted to go with. She wanted to see where I would be next year.
The school I would be attending was 20 minutes from my house, and I drove Noelle and I there at 6:30, my orientation was at 7 PM.
First was a question and answer and talk from the two women who were in charge of the school. Their names were Sarai and Tessa- they were both in their thirties and seem like badass women.
Next was the tour of the school. I appreciated that Noelle seemed really interested the entire time. After the tour, to my pleasant surprise, they ordered pizzas for us. There were about 45 of us there- mostly girls, and three guys. They wanted all of us to mingle.
There was a sitting next to Noelle and I with shoulder length honey blonde hair. She had on a black tank top and she had some tattoos on her arms.
She turned to us. "Hi, I'm Olivia. I figured I should get out of my comfort zone and talk to someone- and you two look nice." she grinned at us.
"Hi, I'm Harley." I said to her.
"I'm Noelle. Nice to meet you." Noelle gave her a small wave.
We wound up talking to Olivia- she was really nice and seemed genuinely interested in getting to know us.
"So, are both of you going here in the fall?" she asked.
"Oh, no. Just me. Noelle is going to school in West Virginia." I said, feeling that pang in my chest that I always felt when I thought about or said it.
"You two are dating, right? I don't want to assume, but it's kind of obvious." Olivia said.
"Yes, Harley is my girlfriend." Noelle laughed, and gave me a kiss on the cheek.
"That's great. And I hope you two can make long distance work." Olivia said.
"I know we will." Noelle said confidently.
"I love the optimism. Harley, you'll have to keep me updated when we start school together." Olivia said to me.
When we start school together. When Noelle won't be here. When we will be 7 hours apart.
I wanted to enjoy the rest of this school year with Noelle, but my mind kept being clouded about the thought of long distance. Was I going to do it? Absolutely. But it was daunting. I was used to just being able to see Noelle at any time. And I couldn't help but also wonder if she would meet someone else. Or see her ex girlfriend in class.
Prom was going to be at the end of May. I wasn't sure if Noelle and I were going to go to prom together- we hadn't talked about it. We both didn't have the most school spirit.
Around a month before prom, Noelle was hanging out at my house and Juan grilled up some salmon, shrimp, and vegetables- and Noelle and I joined my family for dinner.
We were all talking when Jade asked Noelle and I- "Are you two going to prom?"
Noelle turned and looked at me. "Are we?"
"You two haven't talked about this?" my mom asked.
"Have you not noticed that we don't have the most school spirit?" I said.
"Of course, but you two should go to prom! I'll get you both all dolled up. I think you would have a lot of fun." my mom encouraged us.
"I want to help you get a dress!" Jade said.
"We'll think about it." Noelle said, "It's not a no but it's not a yes yet."
"Agreed." I said.
But the next week at school, Noelle seemed to have decided for us. In the best way possible.
When I walked up to my locker after my last class, I saw a small post it note on my locker that said
PROM?
I smiled and took the note off my locker.
Of course.
I thought it was sweet, and simple. And then I opened up my locker and saw that it was decorated with streamers. Noelle put my favorite Candy, Kit Kat bars, in my locker, and there was a card.
It read:
Harley,
My beautiful girlfriend. Will you go to prom with me? I know we didn't formally discuss it, but I would love nothing more than for us to dance the night away together. I know things are about to change, and I think we deserve this night together to have fun. Of course, we will have many more nights to have the time of our life- but I want this to be one of them. I love you. Thank you for loving me. So...prom?
-Noelle
I smiled even more at the card. I had to find Noelle. But I heard her voice behind me say, "So, is it a yes to prom?"
I turned around to face her.
"Absolutely." I nodded. And we were not one for PDA at school, but she leaned in and gave me a long, drawn out kiss.
"I can't wait." she said.