Gone Under

Sometimes, its the words that you don't say that get you hurt. It's the words that you were meaning to say, but got stuck in the back of your throat. The words that you thought that they didn't need to hear. Maybe those words are what they needed to hear. But you were scared. You were scared, and now you are hurt because of it. 

He couldn't remember what exactly he did to lead up to this moment. This moment where all he could see was the endless sky. The breeze that had been caressing his face profoundly earlier seemed like whispers that barely reached his ears. There was no strength to turn his head. No strength to get back up.

There was no point in getting back up. Everything was always the same every single day. And he was tired. He was oh so very tired of the mask on mask on mask that he had placed upon his face every single day without fail. He just wanted to sleep. There was so much exhaustion in his body now. It was like he was drowning, barely hanging onto consciousness. 

A fire was burning in his lungs. Every single breath was labored, that much he could tell. He wanted it to stop. He wanted all of the pain that was rushing up into his system to end. Why wasn't it ending?

"What happened to him?" Someone's voice echoed.

"Too much water got into his lungs. He needs medical attention." Someone else responded.

Suddenly, there were arms around him lifting him up. He could feel tears blasting his face softly, and he hesitantly looked to the thing that was on him. 

She was crying, and Jay hated that she was crying. He hated that their were tears falling down her beautiful face. He wanted to know who did that to her, but when he turned his head to look to see who the offender could have been, pain shot up everywhere and he was gasping for air. Coughing seemed like a good thing to do, but once he started, he found that it was hard to stop. He turned his head to the other side to see the others looking at him in... Pity? Concern? Mourning? Why were they all looking at him like that.

"Hey, Jay? You're going to be okay." He heard her whisper.

What did she mean he was going to be okay? What's wrong with him?

"We need to get him to the hospital." He heard Cole mutter.

"There is no time. It's all flooded. People are evacuated. The hospital would not bring him any help." Zane muttered back.

"Not to mention, Kalmaar and Wohirra are still out there. If we got one hit trying to get him back, it would be over for him. Even if we got the water out of his lungs, he would be in no condition to fight." Kai said in concern and frustration.

They weren't making any sense. He didn't need to go to the hospital. They needed to go defeat Wohirra and call it a day, just like they always did. He opened his mouth to tell them as much, but then he couldn't stop coughing again. Air wasn't making to him in the way that it needed to. Breathing hadn't always been this difficult, had it? If so, how had he not noticed it until now.

He felt Nya suddenly grab his hand and squeeze it, before pushing his curls out of his face. She looked to him in concern, which started to freak him out. Clearly, there was something wrong if Nya looked on the verge of freaking out. When she started humming, he felt the tears gather in his eyes, but he closed them before she could see.

Nothing was making sense anymore, but he knew that there had to be something wrong with him. He apparently needed medical help, but he couldn't understand why. He was fine underwater. He had help getting to the surface, but other than that he was fine. Well... At least he thought he was fine. Clearly he wasn't fine, if everyone looking at him somberly had anything to say to it.