Uncertainty

Jay sat on his bed. Nothing seemed the same with the team, but that was always the case when they came back from a mission. This mission was different though. They never had really seen someone from their team play the actual Villain card before, unless you are talking about when they were taken over by the dark matter, but no one really considered that. Jay however tried to see that as an example. He didn't want to have been the cause that Zane had turned to the dark side, but all of the evidence pointed to it.

"Are we missing anyone?" Jay had heard someone ask in the other room.

"Jay, but what does it matter? He is fine. Just let him be wherever he ran off to." He heard someone answer in response.

Jay internally groaned at that. No one seemed to care about how he was feeling about this. Maybe this was a good thing. He had to stay strong and positive. Only one person had seen him actually cry, and remembered it, and he wanted to keep it that way. He made sure that no one would ever see him really break. However, when he was alone, he could really just let go of whatever he might have been feeling, and he liked it.

The team had been through so much in the course of these few years in which they had been together, but it really just felt like lifetimes. Jay sighed and shook his head. They had been in for one hell of a ride. That was something that he believed they could all agree on. That was always a constant agree statement when nothing else seemed to work. Hopefully, this bond would last all of their lives, but he didn't know what the future held. Well, most of the future anyway. He was sure that Nya would always be in his future, and so he never really had worried about it. That was until now anyway.

"Are you hiding in here?" He heard his girlfriend call as she opened the door with a small smile on her face.

"Guilty." Jay said with a fake smile as she closed the door.

"What are you doing in here by yourself? Out of anybody, you would be the one at the party. That is just who you are." Nya said as she came and sat down next to him.

"Generally, yes. We just came back though, and I feel tired. You know that traveling across dimensions has a weird effect on my body. You should be glad you weren't around for the Realm of Dragons and Oni. Now that was an interesting time. I was just going to turn in early." Jay rambled as he avoided her gaze and looked out the window.

"I hope you know that I know you are lying to me, Walker." Nya said with a stern look.

Jay looked down to the floor. He hated lying to her. Honestly, he didn't understand why he lied to her. She was the one person that he could be honest to. Perhaps it was a natural reaction. Something he just had a habit of doing because that was what he had done when basically anything had gotten tough. He always turned to jokes or lying. Nya knew that. Hopefully she saw what he was actually doing. Saw that he was actually hiding.

After a minute, Nya just sighed.

"You know, you guys never told us what exactly happened in the Realm of the Dragons and Oni. Not the whole story. Just what you guys really discovered." Nya said as she laid her head on his shoulder.

"I asked them not to say anything. Mostly what happened to us happened because of my interesting effect of what happened to us. My brain shut down, and I went into denial, Nya." Jay said as he slowly laid his head on top of hers.

"What happened? What do you mean?" Nya asked in confusion.

"I don't want to talk about it right now." Jay said very sternly and very quickly.

"Okay. God." Nya said, clearly surprised and upset at what Jay had said.

They sat in silence like that for a while. It was awkward and suffocating, but Jay didn't know what to say. He knew that he had hurt her feelings. but he didn't know what to say. He didn't mean to hurt her feelings by any means. He just never really though about him going insane was a detail that he would ever have to visit again.