To Not Be Okay

Jay was aware of the person on his chest, and that was probably the only thing that was keeping in his silent screams. And Jay justified his reaction just by looking up to seeing her arm covered in bandages with a sling on his nightstand. Because she was hurt, and she needed to sleep even if he himself couldn't.

And he knew that she wouldn't blame him for waking her up. Not after being apart for so long and thinking that the other could possibly not be alive anymore. But he didn't want to burden her, and he didn't want her to have to worry about him more than she already did.

Which is why he silently cried and looked out the window while pulling her into his chest a little more. Her being close to him was a constant reminder that he hasn't lost her. That they were both fine. That she wasn't taken by Nadakhan or the Sons of Garmadon.

He knew that he was mentally exhausted. And he knew that he probably should go see a therapist or at least talk to Wu. It was something that Zane had suggested to him over dinner where he pretended that he didn't see Nya's concerned face.

But she wouldn't push any answer out of him because she could see that wasn't the right thing to do. She had, however, made it her mission to sneak into his room and snuggle up into his chest until they both fell into a slumber. A slumber that he woke up from after a couple of hours.

Every time he slept, he woke up in the Realm of Oni and Dragon. Sometimes, even Nadakhan would join him there in his dreams. Join him and continue to torture him. Or he would be to late to save Nya and Lloyd, and they both were already dead by the time that he came back.

He felt Nya's head lift up, and his body automatically tensed up, which probably signaled to her that something wasn't right because she was suddenly just staring into his eyes, saying nothing. And the silence continued to drag out, but he wasn't uncomfortable, especially when she pulled her hands up to his hair and leaned down to kiss his neck and bury her face in it. 

"I love you, you know that, right?" Nya whispered so quietly that Jay almost didn't hear it. Almost. 

"I love you too." Jay whispered just as quietly, and the silence once again continued. 

He couldn't find the words to say in that moment. And maybe it was because there were no words that were needed to say. Because she understood him and what he was trying to say just as much as he did with her. 

He felt exhausted. Maybe... Maybe he would always feel like that, but the fact that she was here in his arms was worth it. Because had had to live without her freaking out that she was dead for 2 weeks, and so to have her here in his arms breathing alive, it made all of the difference.

"I can't sleep. Every time I close my eyes... All I can see is Lloyd coming in and telling me that you died. That all of you---" Nya started sobbing, and Jay could do nothing but pull her into his chest tighter as his own tears fell down his cheeks.

It was hard to remember sometimes that the past 2 weeks that they went through affected her just as much as it did him. He was always so caught up in his own trauma to remember that she had to live with her own version of it. 

Because the difference between her trauma and his trauma was that at least he was aware that she was alive. He didn't dare ask how many days she had to live with the thought that he was dead. And he couldn't blame Lloyd because if it wasn't for the Travelers Tea, they would have been dead.

"I... I lost it in the Realm of Oni and Dragon. Like... My brain just completely shut down after everything. I--- I couldn't function with the thought that you were gone. I couldn't function with the thought that we had lost, and that even though we were alive, we weren't home. And then there was the big chance that we would have never gotten home..." Jay whispered, and he felt Nya look up to his face, but he just looked to the wall in front of him.